So after receiving the best haircut of my life yesterday, I am spending the morning avoiding a shower. I know deep in my knower from past experience that there is no way I can make this style look just this way again. No way. So, I would rather be a stinky, sweaty, greasy mess with great hair. Ha! Anyone else this way?
There have been times, however that I have rushed home to shower, my tears mixing with the water. Dramatic, yes, but hair is a big deal to us women, right? When someone messes it up, we know it's not the end of the world. We know that it will grow back. We know it's not the most important thing to think about, but it becomes a problem. #firstworldproblem, yes, but a problem nonetheless.
Looking back at my many, MANY bad cuts through the years, I can laugh. I laugh harder at the look on Mr's face whenever I have to head to the salon. The man is afraid. Very afraid. Last night when I got home, he had dinner ready and the table nearly set. Wise man. Thankfully, there were no breakdowns last night, at least not from me. Boo wouldn't come near me, just kept watching me bashfully from behind her doll. Fo, who has this obsession with squeezing and pinching my neck was elated. "I LOVE it, Mommy," she said while leaning in close to sneak a pinch (we've been working on this 'addiction' of hers for years. she now leans in for a hug and slowly runs her hands along my neck on her way out of the squeeze. shudder). Apparently this cut gives her better access.
Little Miss was devastated. Tears. Wails. "Mommy, now I can't play with your hair!" Oh the drama!
This morning I'm giggling about past mishaps.
In our first year of marriage, I loved my sister's cut, went to the same salon that did hers and asked for the same. I did not get anywhere near her cut. When I went to a salon to fix it after it grew out a bit, the guy said with a snicker, "Yes, this is what we call the 'Duck Butt Cut'". Lovely. He did his best, but there are some bad pictures in our family album.
Then there was the time I went for a cut when Fo was little and asked the stylist to give me a cut like my sister-in-law's. I had pictures and everything, knowing she couldn't duplicate it exactly, but I thought it was a good example of what I was going for. I joked as she fastened the cape, "Just don't make me look like Kate Gosselin." Mistake. I walked out with a much worse, choppier, sloppier version of the famous Kate Gosselin style. I kept telling Mr. that I looked like a soccer mom. Now Every time I need to go to the salon, Little Miss asks if I'm going to get a "soccer ball" cut. Ha!
I soon caught on that mimicking my family was not working out for me, so a week before Fo was born, I went to a salon and tried to get a cut that had worked well for me in the past. Slightly stacked A-line, without the long hair (doggie ears) in the front. She gave me super dramatic doggie ears. I shyly told her, "No, I'm sorry, I don't like the long hair in front. Can it be shortened a little?" Her response was to purse her lips together and blunt-chop off the doggie ears. "There. That will be $30.00." Ugh. At least she kept it long enough to pull up the sides for a while!
So how about you? Any hair style woes or praises? I know I'm not the only one with bad experiences. Stylist friends of mine, any crazy stories from behind the chair??
No comments:
Post a Comment