I barely wore make-up in high school. I never did my hair. That girl you knew in your class that just ran her hands back through her hair all day until it was a scraggly mess?
Yup. That was me.
I'm still shocked Mr. looked twice at me. I'm not a person too concerned with my looks, although the older I get, the more I care about looking nice. And the more daughters I have, the more I want them to cherish their inner beauty while taking care to be purposeful in how they present themselves on the outside. Part of teaching them that is doing that. Taking care with my appearance in a way that shows them I like to look nice for my husband, but that I don't find my worth in how my hair falls any given day or if my jeans are a little snug. Or a lot snug depending on how many cookies I had that day.
Anyway. I've been hearing about a salon near me that is a nonprofit. My friends have raved about how well they take care of their clients, how affordable it is, and, most importantly, how they support Destiny Rescue. Today I decided to go for a cut, color and eyebrow wax.

I stepped into a small salon filled to the brim with laughter.
Like something out of "Steel Magnolias" the women were laughing and talking over blow dryers and the ringing phone. When someone called to me that she would be just a minute, I replied that she could take her time. I'd brought a book to read.
"Oh honey, you won't be doing any reading in here," laughed a sweet older woman, the perm rollers in her hair in perfect pink rows under the plastic cap.
I laughed with her and tucked the book away, choosing to enjoy the room of women chattering and laughing. Joking together and discussing a shoe fundraiser they're part of.



I walked around taking pictures, stepping over purses, listening to the hum of feminine conversation and, believe it or not, enjoying the sharp sting of the perm chemical solution.
When it was my turn, I was able to talk with the proprietor about her journey with the salon. How the Lord was just as instrumental in the salon project as He's been with my book. It was amazing to hear.
And, for the first time in years I felt comfortable in a salon chair. I felt like she understood what I wanted (style without having to style it) and that she wasn't judging me for not being more like her. Does that make sense? Cuz salon gals and make-up counter ladies scare me to death!

There are so many ways to support the things that matter to us. When those things matter to the Lord, He works in us to be involved. It's amazing to find how many people are touched by the work of Destiny Rescue. Even more amazing are the ways God uses our talents, gifts, and willingness to draw these girls closer to Him.
Out of the darkness, into His glorious light.
1 comment:
We were blessed to have you in the salon. We love all of you that come through our door and want the best for you! Thanks for you kind words and we hope to see you again!
Post a Comment