Friday, July 19, 2013

Happy Place

I love the idea of living on a patch of land, building our own house and carving out a nice "Little House on the Prairie" living for ourselves.
Right now I live in a subdivision, but we back up to a plot of land that is farmed every year: corn, sugar beets, and I believe wheat will make an appearance one summer soon. It's lovely.

Little Miss' face says it all: happy, happy, happy. Beautiful.
Or at least I thought so. Given recent events in our garage, now I look on that field and see millions of disease infested mice (shudder).
Now I'm abandoning the "Little House" idea and dreaming of manicured lawns, HOA's, noisy backyard neighbors. All much better, in my mind, than mice (shudder).
Especially since twice this week while Mr was at work or otherwise occupied, I have found a tiny jumping creature trapped in the diaper garbage can we keep right outside the door leading from the garage to the laundry room and had to "take care of them" myself (triple shudder).
We can't move right away and I am officially too freaked out to be in our house while he's at work (exaggerating only slightly) so I've been thinking of, and visiting, my sister's house.
She has the most spectacular backyard. It's cozy and beautiful and fun and inviting all at once.

The lovely fire pit.

The fun part.

And her bountiful garden. That she generously shares with us and kindly shows to the kids whenever they want. I love my sister and her home.
Which is surprising since she once pushed me down a flight of concrete stairs and another time convinced me to eat a bowl of poisonous berries.
Ehem.
Her backyard is most definitely my happy place.
And completely mouse-free.
How about you? Would you rather live in the 'burbs with a nice yard like this and no mice (shudder)? Or would you rather deal with the critters that come with open spaces?

No comments: