When I was close to graduating high school, I was in a panic about what to do with my future. College? Job? Missionary? I was torn a million directions. I asked my dad what I should do and he kept quoting this verse to me (much to my 18-year-old annoyment)"Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you saying, 'This is the way; walk in it.'" Isaiah 30:21
So...just start walking and God will direct you.
Well, this verse has served me well to remember. Unfortunately, I'm hard-headed and forget it sometimes. Such as for the last four years and the subject of homeschooling. I knew I wanted to homeschool and I really have felt that the Lord was leading me to homeschool. But I was a back and forth mess. Should we? Should we not? Finally, Mr and I decided to homeschool for kindergarten and reevaluate.
Oh my. From day one, it's like the Lord has been standing beside me trumpeting:
"This is the way!!! Walk in it!!!"
Hellllooo confirmation. It's been amazing to see His faithfulness and the peace that has come from it.
Little Miss is a sweet kid and I love her dearly. But for a little over a year, I've been worried for her. She's seemed angry and cranky and defiant. Disrespectful at times. Even a little hard hearted. Just glimpses that parents can see, mind you, but I have been praying so hard for her little heart. A lot of this was her age, I'm sure, but my heart just knew I needed to pray for tenderness in her.
Oh, Nelly! God has softened her heart and I am enjoying being able to teach her and watch her flourish!
Fo as well. God called us to homeschool and now that we are in obedience, the blessing has been amazing. So, so thankful.
I need to share a quick story I heard in Bible study last week:
A little girl was at the store with her mother when she saw a little box with a strand of "peals" inside. She asked her mother if she could have them and her wise mother encouraged her to do extra chores and buy the pearls herself. After a few weeks, she bought the pearls and they were her delight. She wore them all of the time.
One night, after her father read her bedtime story he asked, "Do you love me?"
"Oh yes, Daddy," she replied, "I love you so much."
"Can I have your pearls"
"Oh, Daddy, no, you can have my bear. Or my doll. But my pearls are my favorite."
He said it was ok, that he loved her still, kissed her goodnight, and left the room.
This happened every night for a long time.
"Do you love me?" "Yes!" "Can I have your pearls?" "No, Daddy..."
One night he came in to read her story and found her crying.
"Oh, honey, what's the matter?"
She reached out her little hand and handed him her pearls. "I love you, Daddy. Even more than my pearls."
He took her pearls and kissed her little head. "My girl, I love you, too, so much."
And from his pocket he pulled out a velvet box and handed it to her. She opened the box and found a real strand of pearls. He had been waiting for her to give him her worn, cheap little pearls to replace them with the real thing.
How often does God require what is most precious from us and we hold tight? He will love us anyway, but once we give Him what we hold dear, He will give us His most precious gifts: Life. Joy. Love. Peace.
Surrender is a hard thing. But when we surrender to Him, the reward is more valuable than even the most precious pearls.
3 comments:
Love it. Beautiful illustration... <3
6I just wanna belt out a big BOOO HOOO.... that is such an awesome little story!!!! I love it! One of the only pieces of jewelry I have left from my mother is a (foux) pearl necklace. But she always took really good care of it as it was all she could ever afford. Mom is with the Lord now (passed at 62 in 2010) and I will never look at those pearls the same way again. Thank you for your inspiring words. I will carry them with me. DM.
Tears from the pearl story! CAtching up on your blog. :)
Post a Comment