Thursday, April 5, 2012

Ugly Brown Mug

Simple coffee mug you say. A little homely even. Sturdy enough to serve it's purpose, nothing more. An ugly brown mug.
To me this mug evokes tender memories that have shaped me. In every memory of early morning childhood, I have a clear picture of my father sitting in the quiet, flooded in warm light from a nearby lamp, this coffee mug in hand, Bible open in his lap.
I still find him that way if I happen to be in his home or have him in mine in the morning.
I now own this mug and use it as often as I can. I wrap my hands around it and savor the warmth and the memories. I sip my coffee in the wee hours of morning and wish I would be as faithful in my devotion to the Lord as my Father. I am seriously lacking in that area.
Now more than ever I am realizing how important it is to make this the most important time in my day. To take advantage of the gift that's been given to me: God's Word, right here for me to read. To ponder. To know. It is essential to living life to the fullest. It is also essential to giving my children hope and a future.
These little ones are watching. And my actions will speak volumes more than my words.
They are paying close attention. Soaking up everything like sponges. I have to evaluate what is more important: for them to catch me sleeping, or catch me entrusting my day to the Author of all my days? They are watching.

Is it more important for me to have a clean home or a clean heart? A perfect execution of discipline or a perfect offer of grace? A few moments of "me" time or a purposeful choice to offer my desires, hopes, and thoughts to the Lord for their sake, even if it means less sleep? They are watching.
To quickly and efficiently whip up a 5 star meal, or slow down and enjoy little hands in the kitchen?

My prayer is that they will have their own coffee mug memories. That they will know that Jesus is the most important element in my life. That He is good. He is God. He is so important that words can't begin to describe the importance of Him.
Maybe an ugly brown coffee mug will help.

3 comments:

denise said...

Wow, I hear you. Thanks for this post.

And personally, I like the mug. It has character.

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention that the little brown coffee mug gets reheated in the microwave a minimum of 15 times per cup...love you betty.

Adrian said...

love it, love it, love it! good stuff there, girl!