I don't want to go too far into this, mostly because I'm in denial:
My Mama is sick.
She has a lung disease and is now on oxygen. For the most part, I try to pretend the tubes and her ever present tank are just a new fashion statement.
While at her house I try to keep things light and normal, and for the most part they are.
Yesterday, however, we had a conversation that is haunting me with it's implications.
Mom: "You know the sweetest thing your Daddy said?"
Me: "What's that?"
Mom: "He said it's time to start talking about the possiblity of transplant."
I left the table and began to fidget around in the kitchen.
Mom: "I told him I'm not sure I want to spend so much money. What if it doesn't work for long? I don't want to saddle him down with astronomical bills...You know what he said?"
Me: "Hmmm?"
Mom: "He said, 'I don't care how much it costs even if I only get 10 more minutes...' Isn't that the sweetest?"
Oh, Mama. I agree. We're not at that point yet, but it has me thinking. I used to pray for Mr. Man as a teen and young woman. I didn't know for sure that God had plans for me to marry, but I prayed for Mr just in case.
I now pray for my girls' future husbands in the same way.
I started thinking yesterday: Should I begin to pray for my mom's donor, if there is one in the future? I mean, aside from praying that she would just be miraculously healed?
It's a morbid feeling.
If there is a donor in Mom's future, I realize that for my Mama to live, someone else has to die.
I'm not sure how to digest this.
Of course, I want my Mama to live! More than 10 more minutes!
I've been praying for Jesus to make it more clear and real to me that He died for me. This is opening my eyes to what that means. My sin was transplanted onto Him and I was given His pure and Holy status before the Lord.
Whoa.
I'm praying that if there is a donor in Mom's future that they know the Lord.
Makes me even more aware of how the gospel is good news to be shared.
It's urgent.
Because we will all reach a point where we don't have even 10 more minutes.
7 comments:
I'll be praying for your mom and you!! What a difficult thing to wrap your mind around. You are such a blessing to those around you though. Thank you for your beautiful words. (And for a fun visit the other day! :-) )
Praying. May God's peace be with you.
Melissa
Heart aching now... I am sorry, you mentioned your mom was sick but I took as not so serious and didn't ask you more. Love and prayers my friend... the deep ache of life and love.
Prayers to you and yours. What a beautiful post. Brought tears to my eyes.
Oh, sweet friend. I'm so sorry you and your family are going through this! It must be hard to see your mom dealing with such a serious illness. Moms mean so very much, no matter our age. I'm praying for her healing.
A dear friend of ours had a double lung transplant two years ago. Although she very recently passed away, I know her family and friends were incredibly thankful for that extra time with her. God used her in so many ways during that time and she touched a lot of lives. You can't put a price on that!
I think it's wonderful that you feel moved to pray for the person who may donate lungs to your mom (and his or her loved ones). How kind and thoughtful!
Aching for you... :( That is hard to think about a parent going through an illness like that...unbearable. I will be praying for healing for her too and the decision about a donor. I love the picture you painted of the donor as another way to see God's gift of salvation-His clean and pure heart for my wicked one, and then I am well.
Oh sweet Bethany and sweet Grandma Brown... this was difficult to read but so blessed by your sharing of this because, yes, sharing the gospel is why we are still here. We are ambassadors for Him and ministers of reconciliation until Christ calls us home. Praying for you, for your mama, for the donor... please Lord let the donor know You and trust in You so they will be reconciled and restored to You in Heaven. Your family is such a light! Thank you God for connecting our paths this year!
Post a Comment