Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Easter Fun

I admit I'm a Christmas freak and that I totally go for the commercial stuff. I love the tree, the lights, the music, the food, the presents, the everything.
Of course, if we didn't have all the stuff, I would still be so grateful and happy to celebrate what Christ's birth means for me, for us.
Easter, I am in love with - but hate, hate, hate the commercialism. The bunnies, the little chicks, the eggs. Things that have nothing at all to do with the most important event in all history: Christ's victorious resurrection from the dead.
Yes, I have children, and yes, we have hidden little plastic eggs for them to find and we have bought buckets to fill with fun goodies. But each year I so desperately try to explain the importance of the resurrection and incorporate it into the fun.
This year, I plan to be more purposeful and begin some new traditions. Instead of painting eggs, we are going to paint flower pots and in their Easter morning gifts we will include seed packets for their painted pots.
Seeds are a symbol of new life. What once was dead is now living, blooming, growing, thriving.
We're going to make these Resurrection Cookies the night before Easter. I'm so excited about them!! (We plan to do mini chocolate chips in place of pecans because that's what he have on hand and Miss Fo has an allergy)
Instead of a basket, we'll just place their candies and gifts (playdough!!) in the flower pots.
The reason I am doing candies and gifts is because Easter is a BIG DEAL and I want to celebrate! He is Risen!! He is Risen indeed!!
1 Corinthians 15:16-20
"16 For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either. 17 And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. 18 Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost. 19 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.
20 But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who have fallen asleep."
For my thoughts on what I've been rescued from, click here for a story version of my favorite song. Literary masterpiece? Absolutely not. Sincere? Most definitely.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My girls enjoy making Resurrection Cookies each Easter and I look forward to my husband reading the verses for us as we make them.

I definitely think we will have to plant some seeds this Easter. What a great idea. Thank you.

He is risen indeed!

Blessings,
Melissa

Jen said...

I loved reading your Easter post. We tried those before too. Very fun. We hosted our first family Easter this year. Eleven years we've traveled to Easter at his parents or mine. It was wonderful to have it in our own home, go to our own church and celebrate the risen Lord with our little ones and family. I loved it! I love building traditions of our own little family.