Friday, December 2, 2011

Figuring It Out Friday

We'll see if I can stick with this every Friday :) I am not much of a homemaker. Sure, I can cook (LOVE to cook) and I can keep my house somewhat picked up. But I'm not much of an organizer, a decorator or anything that would get me pinned on Pinterest. Heck, I don't even totally get how to use Pinterest!
So I have some goals in mind. Things I want to work on to make this job of mine more purposeful and have fun while I'm doing it. First up, I need, desperately need, to be more organized. And I can actually post that I did something about that a few weekends ago.
We have a nice little home with a bonus room over the garage. That room has worn many hats - all cluttered and not very useful. We were starting to feel a little cramped around here and suddenly the light bulb went off: Instead of the girls sharing one room and the other room being a play room/nursery - why don't we move the girls and their toys UPSTAIRS?! I can't believe I never thought of it! So here are the results:
View from the stairs
View from the window. Since there isn't a closet in here, Mr. Man hung a closet organizer in that little alcove. It's working great. I took the girls toys, sorted them into little bins and placed them on the shelves. Their stuffed animals are in that hope chest.
And my very favorite addition: The landing. We enter/exit our house through the laundry room, which is next to the stairs. I have been keeping the girls' shoes in those pink boxes to keep from tripping over them, so I decided to place the boxes under a coat rack that is just their size. Now everything has a place and no tromping up and down the stairs for shoes and coats. Also, I keep a basket on the landing to gather anything that needs to go back upstairs and carry it up to sort at the end of the day. (Ok, so maybe I haven't carried it up in a week or more...)
Now we have a nursery/office and crafty place/guest room downstairs. All need work, so those will eventually make the Friday list.
Next up (I'm hoping) in the home improvement area is the laundry room. I want to make it a bright place that I can store cleaning supplies and extra toiletries/paper products from Costco. I also want to utilize a table I have in there and begin to sort/fold laundry straight from the dryer. Any tips?
Hope ya'll have a great weekend!

No comments: