"O Lord God Almighty, not the God of the philosophers and the wise, but the God of the prophets and apostles; and better than all, the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, may I express Thee unblamed?
They that know Thee not may call upon Thee as other than Thou art, and so worship not Thee but a creature of their own fancy; therefore enlighten our minds that we may know Thee as Thou art, so that we may perfectly love Thee and worthily praise Thee.
In the name of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen." A.W. Tozer from "The Knowledge of the Holy"
This is my favorite quote from one of the most influential books in my personal library. The fact that I own this little nugget of wisdom is a miracle in and of itself. Years ago, I needed to escape my life. The only place I could think of to go was a Bible college that I had thought of attending many times in the past.
I applied late, asked a friend to go with me on an impromptu tour of the campus, met with an admissions counselor, and despite a terrible experience at the college during our visit, I found myself enrolled for the next semester (as did the friend I drug along on the tour). I was only able to spend one cherished semester at this school and somehow I was blessed to land a class taught by one of the most wisened, incredible professors there. The class: Theology Propor.
The professor: more humble and knowledgable than most any man I've ever met.
The textbook for the class was "The Knowledge of the Holy". Our professor's humble spirit as he attempted to acurately teach on God and His known attributes was nothing short of life changing.
I still picture him, face turned to the sky, palms up in adoration and careful worship, as he interrupted his own lecture to beseech God to guide him as he tried to teach of the unfathomable: God.
He was so careful to express that we can glean much from God's Word and yet, there is so much about the Creator of the world that is unsearchable for now.
How often I don't rememer this. How often I don't remember Who I am approaching with this prayer or that thought. How often I don't put all the trust in Him I should.
I haven't written creativly in a long time. I got so wrapped up and worried about it being good enough, I forgot to just let God work through me in His perfect way to teach me and maybe someone else through this love of mine, no matter what comes of it.
Lately, it's been heavy on my heart to write my story of redemption. I've hesitated to write because I haven't wanted to share it. There are embarrassing parts. Shameful bits. Scenes of my past still plague me in nightmares and creep into the most surreen moments to accuse and remind me of what I did.
I think God has been urging me to write the story to set in stone (or in blog world) what HE HAS DONE in spite of me.
Soon, I will post weekly installments and my prayer is that I will rightly represent what He brought me out of.
That I will acurately portray Him and His mighty love.
That through the process I will "perfectly love" and "worthily praise" Him.
Deep Breath.
1 comment:
We all have embarrassing and shameful parts. It makes the story of what He has saved us from and brought us through even greater!
Post a Comment