Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Coffee and Gardens

My dear friend was over to share some coffee and conversation while our kids played last week. She and her husband have recently left their newly built home to move to her grandmother's little farm house. They plan to change the course of their lives and start a family run organic farm. (Forgive me, friend, if I do not express everything acurately)
I am so excited to have had a front row seat to this adventure. To see their faithfulness as God has called them out from the known to the unknown has been encouraging. To watch HIS faithfulness as He leads them through mountains and valleys of emotion and trials has been nothing short of incredible.
He is so good.
As our coffee talk found its way to my back patio, next to our little garden, the conversation turned to the wonder we both feel for the natural order of things. Especially of farming and gardens.
God indeed provided for us in His every thought and plan. In simple ways like chickens that provide eggs and take care of pesky garden bugs. Bigger ones like cows that keep weeds and grass down while being nourished themselves and replenishing the landscape with their "donations". So many more comparisons rushed back and forth between us, but for now I'm just in wonder of the simplicity of the garden. The complexity and rightness I feel in the plan to feed my own family as best I can. To work for our produce. To tackle those weeds and keep the plants happy. To carefully watch for signs of disease and pests. To one day reap the benefits of long hours in the sun.
The amazing thing that I'm discovering about gardening is that the hard work is enjoyable because I know the end result.
I've tasted what's coming and I am anxious each day to take special care of this little crop.
We didn't plan our garden well. We plopped strawberries here, tucked peas over there. The neighbor blessed us with more tomatoes and peppers than I ever thought to grow and we found room for those, too. Our potatoes are surprising us with their hearty green foilage. Our onions are tempting me with those sturdy green stalks.
In the morning, I love to run my hands along the branches of my tomatoes and across my cilantro, just for the fresh smells to be on my skin for the rest of the day.
I feel connected to my garden. Invested in it.
As my coffee pal and I watched our children squeal together on the swings, her servant-hearted son pushing the younger girls; the girls laughing in pure delight at being together, we shared more ways that a garden and farm are special. The comparisons between God's Creation and His people started to flow. The Church, the way He created, should work like a garden or farm. Everyone working together for the same goal; following the lead of the Master Gardener.
Even more, in my position as a wife and mom of young kids, I see the comparisons.
To reap the benefits of children who know the Lord and who are loving and respectful young ladies, I have to put time into them. Joyful time. Weeding out the bad, encouraging the good.

Working long hours, sometimes in the glaring hot summer sun to be sure they are well watered, fed and shaded. I need to expose them, under careful consideration, to some unpleasant elements so their roots will search deeper for fresh water and in turn be strong. I need to take their wild vines and train them in a direction that will keep them strong and rooted.
Not to change who they are, but to wind them around God's Word for stability. To give them light and air, with the right balance of shade.
It is my delight to work hard for them. We didn't plan our family. God surprised us with these little ones. He brought us more than we thought we would have and it's with joy I've accepted what He's entrusted to me.
Just as it was God's delight to create for us and give His life for us. Just as it is still His delight to use His creation to show us little truths about Himself in the most delightful ways.
This is one of my favorite songs and it runs through my head most every time I am watering my little crop:
I come to the garden alone
While the dew is still on roses
And the voice I hear falling
On my ear the son of God discloses

And He walks with me and He talks with me
And He tells me I am His own
And the joy we share as we tarry there
None other has ever known

He speaks and the sound of His voice
Is so sweet the birds hush their singing
And the melody that He gave to me
Within my heart is ringing

And He walks with me and He talks with me
And He tells me I am His own
And the joy we share as we tarry there
None other has ever known

1 comment:

Lisa said...

This almost left me in tears! After reminding me of the sweet time we had that day, you went and posted the words to my grandma's favorite song! Thank you.