Wednesday, May 4, 2011

At Risk of Sounding Un-Patriotic

I've been really struggling with whether I wanted to talk about the OBL news on here.
Not really a joyous blog post when I've been away from the computer so long, right?
But this site is really a journal and place to voice my thoughts to look back on and show my kids later, so I can't let such a historic event go by silently.
So here goes: At risk of sounding un-patriotic:
I cried when I heard the news.
Wept, really.
I also should confess that I cried when Suddam Hussein was executed, as well.
Please don't misunderstand me: I don't think their deaths were wrong or unnecessary. On the contrary, they were evil, evil, dangerous men. I am thankful to those that are working so hard to protect me and my family and yours from them and all who think as they did.
What cuts me and causes me to weep for them is that because of choices they made, they are now eternally lost men.
As much as the human part of me wants to rejoice and mock and be boastful about their deaths, the Spirit in me, the Holy Spirit Who created these men just as He created me, holds back the rejoicing.
God does not wish that any man should perish and spend eternity seperated from Him.
Not a single one.
And as far as sin goes, my sin is no less or different than theirs in God's eyes.
Sin is sin.
Sin is wanting your own way above God's and following that way.
Sin is sin.
OBL and SH killed many innocent people. Sin. Not God's way.
I have lied, cheated, stolen, murdered in my heart, slandered with my words. Sin. Not God's way.
I deserve the same eternal torment as those men.
Sin is Sin.
Only because God has saved me am I destined for Heaven and eternity with Him.
Only by the grace of God.
It's available to all; it was even available to them.
But they rejected God and chose their way.
By the grace of God, I recognized my sin and accepted His gift of salvation and chose His way.
I still struggle. I still make bad decisions, but I am now covered. Redeemed. Rescued. Forgiven. Free.
And because God's Spirit dwells in me, I cannot rejoice when one, even my enemy, falls. Because God's heart doesn't rejoice, neither can mine.
I belong to Him now.

2 comments:

rebecca said...

beautifully written Bethany.. thank you

Amy said...

I love what you said. I did the same thing and thought now they can't be saved.