When Mr. and I got married, most of my guests were from out of town. The week before the wedding was full of fun time with family and friends. One of those evenings was at my sister's house with two of my bridesmaids.
My niece was 3 at the time, same age as Little Miss is now, which blows my mind!
Most of us were outside enjoying the evening and my two friends were inside chatting, catching up. One of them had a new baby and was taking care of his needs. My niece, ever obsessed with dolls and babies and wanting so much to be part of the conversation, walked in the room and casually leaned against the couch. When there was a lull in conversation, she found her chance and nonchalantly said,
"I got a new baby...so..." and shrugged.
My friends still laugh about her face, her voice, her little, very grown-up announcement about her new doll. It didn't fit, they didn't know how to respond, but she was three. It was cute.
I totally had a moment like that yesterday.
Only I'm not three.
And it wasn't cute.
Remember this post about so badly wanting a friend that is also a neighbor?
My friends, I had the chance yesterday.
And I blew it!
Fo and LM and I went on a walk yesterday afternoon. Right around the corner from us are two ladies that have the relationship I long for. They are always out front with their kids, everyone walking back and forth between driveways and houses, playing, talking, having a big party every time the weather is nice. I have often notcied the families walking to and from each other's places in the evenings and you can tell they are close.
The ladies and kids were out yesterday and we all waved when the girls and I walked by. When we returned, one of the moms called to me and asked if I lived around the corner. Suddenly 10-year-old goofy Betty resurfaced and I became a tongue-tied mess.
When I nodded and pointed to my house, she smiled and came across the street to hear me better.
Oh, I wish she hadn't have!
She introduced herself, pointed out her kids and told me her friend's name. I gave her mine and admitted I'd noticed them outside a lot.
In my mind I said "Since we moved in we have had two kids close together and either I'm pregnant or have a new baby in the summer, so it's been hard to get out and meet neighbors." Unnecessary, but that's not what I said anyway.
What I said out loud was: "I'm pregnant all the time...so..." WHAT?!?!?!?!!!!
She looked at me funny; I looked at my feet.
Sigh.
Blew my chance.
And yet, I think it's really funny. Stupid and embarrassing, but funny. It reminds me so much of my niece's awkward little statement from years ago.
Ah well. Maybe we will laugh about it later. Or I'll just have to duck my head everytime I see them.
I will say, she still parted that converstaion inviting us to join them outside anytime (the girls and I were headed to the store just then).
And, since I can't embarrass myself any further than I have, I might just take her up on that.
After all, I'm sure Lucy embarrassed herself in front of Ethel plenty before they were bosoms buddies.
Right?
2 comments:
Last year after we moved out here I went to a neighborhood bbq and was introduced to a neighbor with almost identical family situation as us and I got so excited I said lots of awkward things. :) We made it through some awkward playdates even and now we're probably settled into normal friendshipness. lol, I hate my tongue!
You do know, right, that nobody is as critical of the things we say as we are of ourselves. I'll bet the your comment sounded much less awkward from her side. Take a chance! Follow up!
Post a Comment