I was horrified when I saw it. Sitting there like a black mark on my parenting record.
A cavity on Little Miss' molar.
Seriously? Only toddlers that are given soda all day in a bottle get cavities, right? I mean I thought I was takin gexcellent care of her teeth! Maybe it was all the M&Ms during potty training?
I swallowed my pride and found a dentist and Little Miss and I had our first experience with Dr. D. She wriggled and wiggled (so did her mother) while they poked, brushed and talked, giving cutesy words to every foreign object being shoved in her mouth:
"This is my silly thirsty straw; it likes to drink your spit!"
"Here is my silly water gun, squirt, squirt!"
"And my silly bubblegum flavored gloves - they're pink!"
"And we're going to polish your teeth adn make them all shiny - isn't this silly?!"
I picked up that in this world, if you say something is silly, it makes it less intrusive.
Little Miss calmed quickly and did relatively well for the first visit. After Dr. D assured me that her molars are all very deep and that cavities in them are inevitable until we fill them up, I calmed as well. In fact I wanted to give the guy a mighty high five or two.
We set the appointment for her to get the cavity fixed, as well as a tiny one starting up in the top molar and went on our merry way with "silly" floss, new toothbrush and a t-shirt. LM talked highly of Dr. D the rest of the week.
When we returned for our next appointment, she was skipping. We brought along our own movie to watch during the "silly" procedure and I had enough snacks and books to keep Fo occupied for a while.
Fortunately Fo is pretty good at entertaining herself.
Once the "silly" mask was on LM's nose it was over. Silly doesn't work on LM. She hated the silly mask, couldn't see her movie through the silly sunglasses, was terrified of the "sleeping juice" they gave her silly tooth to put it to sleep and could have cared less about the "sugar bugs" eating her teeth.
She screamed and kicked and fought in a way that kinda made me proud...you know, if it weren't for all the other kids that were now terrified because mine warned them of the evil lurking behind the glass doors...
Long story short: Dr. D asked if he should go ahead and get the caivty fixed or if I wanted to come back another day. I looked at him like the crazy man he just proved he was and told him to dive on in. I wasn't torturing her for nothing!
Three of us held her down and I kept shouting about milkshakes and McDonald's.
We left with a small cavity remaining, no fillers and a prescription for valium next visit.
Maybe they can give Mommy something "silly" for next time.
2 comments:
Laughed out loud!! Oh I fear the day we visit the kid dentist. Soo sorry!
I don't blame her one bit! It takes every ounce of self-restraint for me to sit in that dentist's chair while they torture me. I may have dental issues...
Post a Comment