"His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness...
For this very reason make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ." (2 Peter 1:3-8)
There is a tree in our front yard that will not grow.
We have pruned it, fertilized it, watered it, weeded all around it and yes, I have even whispered to it.
The thing will not grow.
It isn't dead, either.
Just dormant.
The purpose of a tree is to grow. To be big and tall and spread its branches for shade. A place to find rest and shade in the summer.
A display of God's glory in the fall.
A shadow of its true form in the winter.
A burst of hope and fresh air in the spring.
Yes, it buds and blossoms as it should...barely.
It is the same height, the same width, the same everything since we moved in.
This is not how things should be.
This tree reminds me so much of myself.
The Word of God has been planted in my soul. He waters it, cares for it, prunes it, yes, even sings to me...and, stubbornly, I refuse to grow.
This is not my purpose.
I am to be: "called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor." (Isaiah 61)
I am to grow tall and strong and full because my God tells me to.
I most often can be found dormant.
This summer we plan to dig up the tree and plant a new one. One that will do as it has been designed to do.
Because, what good is a tree that won't grow?
I am starting a journey of growth here.
I want to be a tree thriving in its purpose.
No comments:
Post a Comment