Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thankful and Humble

The other night Dic and I were watching the news and saw that our high the next day was supposed to be 5*.
We were laughing hysterically.
For some reason the high of 5 just tickled us.
This morning as I shuffled around in fuzzy socks, fed my babies hot cereal and pushed the cookies I made last night further out of Little Miss' sneaky reach, I developed a heaviness of heart.
I can't stop thinking about those that have no fuzzy socks, warm oatmeal, fresh ginger cookies, or even a home to shuffle about in.
Suddenly 5* isn't so funny.
God has been molding me for new things lately. I don't know what, but He has subtly, consistently, been prodding my heart. Almost a foreshadowing. A hint.
"Get ready, My child, I'm preparing something new for you. You are about to step into your purpose."
I've written before about feeling out of place. Without purpose.
Really the only purpose is to love God, love others. Serve Him, honor Him, follow Him.
I get stuck on the how. I want a plan. Specific details. I list to check off, so to speak.
I'm realizing that He will show me the how in His own way. I just need to be ready and willing to obey.
So today, I'm thankful for many things: my family, of course. My home. Food on the table. A steady job for my husband. Clothes on my back. A second car to escape the "stuck at home mom" feelings I had last year.
I'm overwhelmingly thankful for my Lord and Savior. For His gentle, yet stern way with me. His passion in every sunset, His consistency with the seasons.
I'm thankful for a Bible study that teaches me truths I might not have seen on my own. For a humble teacher that is funny, honest and wise.
Yes, I'm thankful.
But another realization is with me this year: I am humbled. With one twist, one bad phone call, one financial collapse, I could be in any other place.
I could be in a car today.
Or on the street today.
I could be wondering how to feed and protect my babies today.
I am here because God placed me here. And not to keep me warm and cozy.
I am here and it's my responsibility to share.
To serve.
To keep others warm and cozy.
I'm done wondering how.
Now I simply say, "Lead, Lord. I will follow. Command, Lord. I will obey. I will share. I will love as You have loved me."
Oh yes, Lord. I'm so thankful.
Please make me humble.
Please, Lord, make me like You.

No comments: