Friday, November 19, 2010

Controlling Maniac

Our first summer in our house I was pregnant with Little Miss. I loved to mow the lawn (still do) but had a really had time starting the mower without wrenching my back. Dic would come outside (usually in sweat pants and t-shirt as he was relaxing after work) and start the mower, then hand it over to his pregnant wife and head back inside.
On one such occasion I turned around and noticed that the house across the street had a gathering of beer-drinking men outside who all looked quite shocked at my husband's actions.
I still giggle thinking about how he must look.
Especially since my grandpa started coming over (of his own will) this summer to spray our weeds and do some yard work. It's what he likes to do.
And I think it's funny because to the neighbors, my husband appoints pregnant women and old men to hard labor. He's a controlling maniac.
And if you knew him as I do, you would see how outrageous that comment is.
Yesterday, I had no one to blame for how I looked to our hood.
I decided to surprise Dic and mow the lawn one last time before the snow comes. I pulled out the mower while the girls were napping and started to pull the cord.
Sigh. Nothing.
I pulled and tugged and twisted and fiddled. I stared at the houses around me and wondered if I should go bat my lashes at my male neighbors.
Then I remembered my lashes don't work that way anymore and I am a very capable woman.
I took a deep breath and pulled out my IPOD to find the right kind of "Mama's gonna knock you out" song.
Mark Schultz? Ha, no.
Phantom of the Opera soundtrack...? Not so much for lawn mowing...
Chicago soundtrack? Promising, but as I was trying to do something nice for my husband, I didn't think "He Had it Comin'" should be my song of choice.
Backstreet Boys...really? Did I just admit that's on my IPOD?
Rachael Lampa...aha! Not sure why, but it was what I landed on.
I cranked the song I wanted, not quite "Mama's Gonna Knock You Out" but it fired me up enough to finally fire up the lawn mower.
That puppy roared to life and I laughed and hopped and smiled, then sang at the top of my lungs.
Outside.
On a cold, gray and very windy November afternoon.
And my wonderful husband noticed and gave me a kiss that was well worth the lawn mowing effort.
As for our neighbors thinking he's a controlling maniac? Sometimes when we go out on walks as a family, I tell Little Miss to thank daddy for letting us outside.
You know, just for fun.

2 comments:

Charissa said...

I really like your sense of humor. Fun post.

denise said...

I was cracking up before I even finished the first paragraph of this post. I can SO picture your husband casually walking outside to start the mower and then heading right back in...just so you can have the fun of mowing.

I think we should come up with some other ways to freak out your neighbors. Just for fun.