Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Anybody Else?

Little Miss has moved on from naps.
Completely and totally against them. Funny thing about that: if we are in the car anytime close to what nap time has been, she's out like a light - then horribly cranky all day.
After a week of fighting for naps and crying (me and her) in frustration for hours on end, I gave up. I gave in. I still believe "quiet time" is important. Time for her to play in her room, read books, rest and be alone.
I figured with the abandonment of naps, sleep would be better; mornings later.
Wrong.
She is also fighting bedtime, then waking before 5 (YES! BEFORE 5!!!!) and being a cranky mess all day.
Not to mention her mother.
And today, I am not doing well with this battle. I'm tried. I'm frustrated. I feel like a failure in so many ways. Not just about this sleep/nap situation...about so many things.
Ever feel like you have so much to accomplish - hugely important things - and no hope of getting it right?
I'm not talking laundry or carpool or dinner.
I'm talking, raising your kids in the Truth.
Disciplining for their sake.
Doing the things God requires - loving others, living selflessly, living out your faith.
I just feel...incapable. At times I wonder..."How can I ever get this right?"
There is no flaw in God; there are so many in me. But my heart is so hard and so angry...I don't even know what at. I am yearning for Him to come in and make me new. I'm not sure how to get myself out of the way for that to happen.
How does one learn to be Christ centered?
I know my heartaches and frustrations are because I have made my life about me: my wants, my desires, my time...me, me, me.
It's awful to realize how selfish I really am.
I know what I'm supposed to do...I don't know how to do it.
I'm being sifted and refined and I have to be honest: I hate the process. I don't see the bright side today. I know God's promises are true...today that's a hard one.
It doesn't help that I'm not sleeping, nor have I been allowed time in the morning to be in the Word...I can't get up before the kids no matter when I set the alarm!
I tried to pray in the shower today...Little Miss came in and found the Christmas presents I have been buying on sale and brought them all out.
I tried to pray in the car...Little Miss cried and screamed and kicked about her car seat being too tight.
I tried to get us to Bible study to drink in truth from women wiser than I...Little Miss and Fo fell asleep right before I pulled in...and I kept on driving.
To get my mind off myself, I stopped to surprise Dic with his favorite coffee house drink...screamed in the quiet shop "no! I don't want my sweater on!!!!" over and over in her very shrill voice...then when I was trying to corral her in and quiet her down, she bit me...that has literally never happened before!
We pulled into Dic's work to surprise him...he couldn't answer his phone and we waited (two girls screaming and crying) for 15 minutes before I ran in and left his drink at the front office.
I steered the car home to lick my cranky wounds...Little Miss announced she had to pee, I pulled into a store only to find she had peed all over her car seat...and needed to go more.
Sigh. Things that I normally could twist into a funny post, but today I'm down and frustrated.
And feeling lost and defeated.
Anybody else ever feel this way?

3 comments:

Amy said...

I'm right there with you sister. Yesterday I was encouraged by this sermon suggested by the Girl Talk blog. http://audio.sovgracemn.org/2010/06/13/grow-in-faith-grow-in-grace-be-humble-be-alert/ If you can find a chance to listen to it. I listened to it and caught great little chunks inbetween the nutzo kids noise. I'm praying for you!

denise said...

Yes!!! You're not alone. I've been struggling like crazy lately with my daughter. It's discouraging. Especially when I see the junk it brings out in my own heart. Maybe I'll check out the sermon link that Amy posted.

You really did have a crummy day. I'm sorry and I'm praying for you. For both of us :)

Anonymous said...

I hurt for you. They never teach you about this stuff when you're little, or I was asleep when they did. I've had these days before, perhaps in a different flavor. I am thankful that they are not all like this.

Charissa