Tuesday, October 19, 2010

What I've Been Missing!

I am shocked. Completely and utterly shocked.
How did I get through my years as an avid female reader and completely miss Anne of Green Gables?
How??
The only answer I can come up with is that during the years I would have been most interested in these delightful books was when I had a bit of an obsession with horror stories. My what wasted years of reading!
No matter. PBS has begun to air the Anne series once a week and I found the first book in a cupboard. (I started collecting in my early 20s for any children I might have later in life)
Now I am frolicking around the house, trying to discipline while being careful not to squash Little Miss' or Fo's imaginations.
"Bosom friend", "a perfect graveyard of buried hopes", "divinely beautiful", "tragical" all these and more are delighting me as I pour over these beautifully crafted stories.
Just had to check in and share my new love.
What are your all time favorite stories/books?
My favorite books are The Mark of the Lion Trilogy by Francine Rivers.
As a teenager I loved Shakespeare and would follow my father around reading his plays aloud, then interpreting what I'd read. I was delighted to understand "the code". Ha! My poor, wonderfully patient Dad.

5 comments:

Amy said...

You are blessed to watch and read them now while you can appreciate them! I love the old Anne version, but didn't get into the books when I was growing up, and haven't yet seen the new version.. Have you read Ted Dekker's series The Circle? Different from Anne, but I couldn't put it down. It describes a sort of Eden, and Fall, and "gospel" in a neat sort of way. I'm not a huge reader, but my friend insisted I read this and I was blessed.

Alaina said...

I loved Anne of Green Gables - the book and movies! Some of my top favorites!!!

Amy.E said...

I can't believe you haven't read them!! Enjoy! In fact, your enthusiasm is inspiring and I think I should start re-reading them.
My favorite books are the "Little House" series (just re-read all of them), anything by Mildred Walker, and more recently the Hunger Games series for young adults. I know, I don't fit the category anymore but the books are awesome!

JJ A said...

I can not stop smiling about this post! I am glad you found them and agree with Amy that I am going to re-read them. If you ever watch the (really long) movie you will see your Shakespeare quoting self in Anne!

denise said...

Anne of Green Gables is a classic. I discovered the books when I was in seventh grade and I devoured all eight books in the series.

I love the movies too, although The Continuing Story is completely lame and I wouldn't waste my time watching it. It resembles NOTHING in the books. Still, I don't think it's as bad as your movie version of Anne, which starred Austin Powers if I remember correctly ;)