At Vacation Bible School this summer, the high school kids performed skits each morning. Most silly, some serious. All thought provoking.
One, however, still stands out.
A line, 4 people deep, is waiting to "get into Heaven".
An angel is standing at a podium and takes a life card from each person when it's their turn. The card lists any good or bad the person has done.
Then the would-be Heavenly citizen steps on a scale to see if they measure up to God's standards.
One after another they stand on the scale and are found wanting. No matter how full of good deeds their card was, no matter how much they read their Bible or went to church. No matter how much sin. All were met with the same angry buzzer.
Finally the last person in line steps to the podium. Before she can have her life card scrutinized, Jesus steps to the podium and says, "She's with me."
He hands over His card instead of hers.
Next the angel indicates the scale. Again, Jesus steps in and takes her place on the scale.
Approved.
Arm in arm, the Redeemer and redeemed enter eternity together.
I choke up just thinking about it.
So often I want to do everything just right. I want to be found worthy. But nothing, nothing I have done or will ever do will measure up to what Christ has done.
That goes for sin as well. Nothing can keep me from the love of Christ, even my own wretched foolishness that often takes over.
There is no secret formula, and the longer I live my life with Christ as the center, the more thankful I am for that.
It's still difficult. Isn't it just our way to want to earn things? To do good and be good and get that pat on the back? I can get so caught up in "doing good" that it becomes an awful stinking mess. I get judgmental in areas, stressed out, exhausted.
And constantly He pulls me aside to remind me that He and He alone is worthy.
He and He alone will "stand on that scale".
I need only to trust in Him as God's Son and my Savior.
3 comments:
all choked up. love you.
Amen.
He and He alone. I need to paint that on my walls to remind me. What a gift salvation is.
Post a Comment