Friday, September 17, 2010

God and Coffee


I love my morning cup o' joe.
Well, I love my coffee any time of day, but morning is the best time.
When I was a barista I worked the morning shift (also known as the "seriously-I-have-to-be-there-at-what-time?! shift. It was eaaaaaaarly). I loved it.
My customers were mostly regulars.
The sisters in from their morning walk together.
The lawyer who always talked with me about my orphanage visiting dreams.
The business men.
The tall man that took his coffee black in a venti mug and would sit outside to stare at his yellow bike in the summer and his yellow sports car in the winter.
The creepy man in black that frightened me on many occasions but became dear to me near the end of my barista days.
There were too many to name and keep this post interesting, so I'll wrap it up: I loved and knew my customers.
I loved the morning shift. The darkness outside made the little shop so much warmer. The sunrise through the walls of windows added a cheerful glow.
I can hear the milk steamer, the beeps of the register, the call of "venti-4 shot-with cream and carmel-breve-vanilla latte" for the far too flirtatious mechanic.
I can hear the fresh coffee as it begins to brew, I can smell it permeate the air. I see the pastry case and can remember the taste of the blueberry muffin as I dig in on my own "coffee" break.
Anyway. I loved that job. I still love coffee and savor my cup each day. My intense Bible study (Precepts) has just begun and I do my best to wake an hour before the girls so I can get my studying done.
Just me in the quiet of our home, sipping my coffee and drinking in the sweet Word of God.
I got to thinking the other day:
God and coffee. They just go together.
I am cranky without my morning coffee.
I am even crankier without some serious alone time with my Savior.
Coffee is sweet and comforting to me.
God and His Word - even more so.
Coffee is best when sipped slowly and enjoyed.
God's Word is best when mulled over, thought through, memorized.
Coffee is good to the last drop.
The more I know of God, the better and better He gets.
I'm always up for a 2nd cup of brew.
God is always available, always good. Always.
But God isn't just as good as coffee. He's better.
He's real.
He's all powerful.
He isn't a quick fix; He is the only way.
He wasn't made for me...I was made for Him.
The list goes on and on.

Any simple things that remind you of the goodness of God?

3 comments:

Becky Avella said...

I'm drinking my own cup of coffee right now while I'm catching up on my blog reading.

This was such a great post! I felt like I was there with you for the morning shift. God is so good, and I'm so glad he gave us coffee!! : )

It's been a lazy Saturday morning and I'm having a hard time getting going, but reading this post (and listening to your "Need to Breathe" video) makes me feel like I can get going now. : )

BTW- I'm so excited about your writing. Your ongoing Christmas story made me smile. What a fun thing to do! I hope your dad is released from jail soon! Hee Hee.

Amy said...

I loved this post too! It is so true and I've never looked at the similarities before! God is awesome and so is coffee. I can't do anything to my best without either-certainly not without God working through me, but I am so thankful He gave us coffee to give us a boost!

Adrian said...

Love it! Love you! XOXO