Not too many years ago Friday night was a big deal. What you were doing and who you were doing it with were of the utmost importance.
For years it was innocent fun: my favorite was a tradition that started the fall of my senior year of two friends coming to spend the night so we could get ready for the school football game on Saturday. Such fun giggling, swooning over "The Princess Bride" and sipping hot cocoa the next morning while twirling our curling irons and mascara wands. And glitter. Don't forget the shimmering glitter eye shadow, lotion and hair spray.
Later Friday nights became a huge knot in my stomach. In came the days of bar hopping and dressing uncomfortably to attract attention of men that really weren't worth a first, let alone second, glance. I wasn't much of a bar fly or drinker. I mostly went to be there and make sure my friends got home ok. Not as noble as it sounds, I'm sad to say. I was a self conscious lady that still thought I might find a handsome prince in a bar. What I didn't know was My Savior was with me even there and would rescue me from the emptiness of that life.
That is another story all together.
I didn't like the bars. I was the gal who would prefer to be home in sweats after a long day of working 3 jobs, but I would go out anyway. Something about staying home was so comfortable but felt a little pathetic.
Then I met Dic and Friday nights were exciting. He was in POST (peace officer standard training) during the week and Friday nights he came straight over. The relationship was new and fun and Fridays were a blast.
Now that we're married with little ones and Dic has been working evenings until a month ago, Fridays were just another day.
Until last night.
He had a double shift and I was ready for a night with my ladies. For some reason I was nervous! I spend all day every day with these gems and the idea of taking them out for more than errands or a playdate was intimidating! So silly!
We went to the mall to buy a birthday present for my niece, played in the toy area (shh...don't tell Little Miss that quarters turns them into rides!), ate at McDonald's, played in that play area, toured Toys R Us and finished the very late night with popcorn and Tinkerbell, pillows and blankets.
It was perfection.
Even when I poked my head in the tube slide at McDonalds to let Little Miss know we needed to get going and smelled something not so wonderful. We headed for the restroom and I spread a thick blanket of paper towels on the floor for Fo to sit on so both hands could be free.
While cleaning up all I could think was, "Ba-da-bop-ba-ba...I was lovin' it."
At Toys R Us we were enjoying a little train set and some new friends when Little Miss went bull-legged again and, in a panicked little voice, announced she had to go pee. Let's just say potty training has led to many new clothes for Little Miss.
The joys. Friday night has taken on a whole new meaning. I had so much fun on our Mommy/Daughters date and am anxious to make it a tradition.
What do you like to do on Friday nights?
1 comment:
I like this post! Since my hubby is away a lot I sometimes forget that Luke and I can go on "dates" all by ourselves. It's fun to have an outing that is fun-focused, and not just errand-focused. Will have to do that more often! Thanks for bringing that to mind.
Post a Comment