Thursday, September 16, 2010

La La Land

I tried not to mention it before, but Dic just came off of working the swing shift for 8 months. This used to be one of the best shifts for us, but with two little ones it swiftly became my least favorite. It's part of our life and I'm learning to adapt more quickly to each shift change and the different challenges they bring.
The challenges (for me) of the swing shift are dinner and bedtime. Making dinner for 1 & 1/2 people, keeping kids entertained until bedtime, then getting them ready...this summer felt overwhelming to me.
We soon discovered the after-dinner walk and it was a life saver. It kept us away from plopping in front of cartoons in the evening, wore Little Miss out for bed and gave us all much needed fresh air.
Now Dic is on days and the after dinner walk has become even more fun and special. We load Fo into the wagon or stroller, leash up the dog and head out. Our neighborhood backs up to a new neighborhood that only has 4-5 houses in it. The rest is empty streets and lots. The perfect place to let the dog and Little Miss run.
To get goofy with the girls.
To teach LM to skip.
To perch Fo up on shoulders.
To laugh and talk and hop like bunnies.
This week near the end of our walk, Little Miss and the pup were running ahead, LM giggling and squealing as they bound together.
Fo was in the stroller babbling and shouting for her sister.
Dic was pushing the stroller and as the sun sank lower, I slipped my arm through his and sighed.
"Isn't this wonderful?" I asked with my head on his shoulder.
No response.
"I mean, just the air, the girls, getting out? I just love our family, don't you?"
Still no answer.
I reached up to kiss his cheek and he stiffened before he said, "We need to get going."
In his cop voice.
Knowing I wouldn't get an answer at that moment, but being myself, I asked what was wrong.
He told me he would tell me when we were back in our neigborhood.
I suddenly became very aware of the deserted feeling of that place and resisted the urge to look behind us
Our wonderful stroll suddenly became a tense little game. Dic and I picked up the pace and Little Miss, aware that the walk was heading toward home, began to dawdle and ziiiiiig-zaaaaaaaag slowly back and forth on the sidewalk.
Dic finally just grabbed her, stuck her in the stroller and kept on walking.
Near home he explained he had noticed a man wandering aimlessly on one of the streets. The man then disappeared in an outhouse on one of the lots for a very long time and when he emerged he walked in our direction at a very fast pace.
Sigh. Such is life with an officer. You are enjoying a late summer evening walk, delighting in the wholeness of your little family...oblivious to your husband's danger radar going off.
I love that man. He takes amazing care of his family and is just...I'm still so delighted that he's my man. Ya know?
Thank goodness when I'm in la-la land he is still aware and protective.
And that he has still taken us on our walks and held my hand. We just go a little earlier and he might be packing now! Ha!

1 comment:

Adrian said...

Love this one too! WTG, Sir R! :)