Friday, August 6, 2010

Call Me Old Fashioned

I miss turning my own faucet on and off.
And flushing my own toilet.
Call me old-fashioned.
Yes, I understand why it's better to have the motion sensor water to prevent those forgetful folks that would let the water run all day.
But, yesterday I wanted to cry over my inability to just control my own water flow.
A bit dramatic, you may think.
Let me explain.
This week I have been helping out with the 5th grade group at VBS (Vacation Bible School) at our church. Trust me, I will tell you ALL about it this next week. Too much good to keep to myself.
Little Miss was able to come with me (Fo could have too, but 3+ hours in the nursery when she doesn't even last during a regular church service didn't sound like a good idea, so Dic woke up early each morning to play with her) and we had a blast. We were, however, quite tired each day when all was said and done. I was going to stay home yesterday, but were were out of milk (you know it's a desperate situation when your husband and toddler don't complain about almond milk in their cereal!) and running low on Fo food. So a trip to the store was in order.
Ever have those days where no matter how hard you think, you cannot come up with a meal plan? At all? And thus, cannot come up with any kind of grocery list? I literally marched into Walmart with a pretend list.
Totally blank paper that I scribbled on just out of habit.
Truly.
We were having a somewhat successful trip when I noticed a strange, shall we say...flow leaking from the cart.
Funny, I haven't put any juice of water in the cart.
Oh sheesh, Little Miss! Really? Here!
Harumph.
Fortunately I had swapped my local grocery for Walmart and Walmart is used to such messes. And have big clean-up stations to prove it.
I soaked up as much as I could with a diaper, sat a not-embarrassed-enough-LM on another diaper and cleaned up as much as I could.
Then we headed to the rest room, where, thankfully, there was a little seat to put Fo in while I tended to LM.
Because it would be criminal to take a cart into the bathroom.
I know, I know, people steal. But, really, that cart would be so convenient sometimes!
Anywho.
We got cleaned up, put ourselves together and headed to the sink to wash.
Again, it would have been so nice to have a cart at that moment.
Little Miss can't reach the sink, I had to hold Fo and our plan was to have LM reach with all her might while I splashed water on her hands, soaped them, then splashed some more.
Which wouldn't have been all bad if I could have kept the water turned on!!
Every time I got a little handful of water and moved to splash it on her hand, the water turned off. Then I had to wave around like a maniac for a few seconds (long seconds) to get it going again.
I almost hiked up my foot to keep the sensor going, but most likely would have fallen over and caused a bit more of a mess.
Call me old fashioned; I miss manual faucets.

3 comments:

Adrian said...

yep, i daydream about the old days, little house on the prairie... but then again i am quite a wussbag and likely wouldn't last a day. love you!

Angie said...

That is hilarious!!!! The visual image is fantastic! Here is a little tip for the future: Keep in your bag a small purse-size hand sanitzier. We do that when visiting porta-potty-type outhouse bathrooms (especially on our recent trip through the Nevada desert where no decent bathroom can be found) that carry no soap, towels, etc..

Alaina said...

I actually miss them sometimes, too.

Your story is hilarious...I'm sure not to you - yet. :) (I've had something eerily similar happen. :))