I love my husband. He is a good, caring, right-there-with-me guy. He takes amazing care of our girls. He is patient with me, and Lord knows that takes a strong man. I have only been on one rife along with him, but because I know him, I know he is good at what he does. When he goes to work, I have always said, "I love you. Please come home to me." Little Miss has begun to say the same: "I yove you, Daddy. Um home!!". It's precious and sad at the same time.
He is under appreciated along with the rest of his coworkers. Here's the thing: not all police officers are good. Some are seriously twisted in their thinking and on power trips. But, in my experience, most are people that want to help and make a difference.
Unfortunately, they are cursed at, spit on and ridiculed pretty much every day. Have you ever noticed that the people who dislike police the most are people who have been in trouble with "the law"? I had a boyfriend once-upon-a-bad-choice that would secretly flip off an officer every time he saw one. Why? Because he was always doing something wrong and hated the sight of those who could call him out for it.
The other day I was listening to Air1 and they were honoring national prayer day. The male DJ talked about sitting at a light next to a police car where a man in the backseat was screaming, kicking and spitting at the officer from his seat behind the plexie glass. The officer, was calmly tapping out a rhythm on his steering wheel. The male DJ commented that never, in his hardest day at work, is he treated that way and officers deal more with the bad than the good. He then proceeded to pray for officers and their hearts.
I sat in the car and cried tears of thankfulness.
So next time you are pulled over, remember to be kind to the man/woman in uniform. No one likes to be caught doing what's wrong. You don't have to be happy about it. But think of this: that officer has no idea what he/she will find when you unroll your window. He is trying to keep peace and uphold laws set in place for our safety. He/she might have their hand resting lightly on their gun, because they don't know who you are and if you just might start shooting. And their only goal is to get home to their families at the end of the shift.
Because most have a little girl that told them to and they have hearts of mush for their kids.
Remember to hug a cop today...ok, so don't. That's creepy and they do have tasers.
1 comment:
As I was reading your post, I was thinking how sweet a wife you are and how much I really do appreciate police officers - and their families. I may have even said an "awww" here or there.
Then I read the last line of your post and seriously cracked up. I was totally caught off guard by that one! Thanks for the laugh.
Post a Comment