Friday, May 7, 2010

Home Away From Home

Our Dr is one of a kind. He was my Dr before I married Dic, then became Dic's Dr. When we were pregnant with Little Miss, I saw his name on our pediatrician list at the OB and it was a natural choice. We can joke with him. He tells it to me straight. He keeps things light, but never overlooks our concerns and always gives our kids (and us) the best care possible. I have actually stopped seeing him and now go to his nurse practitioner. He's great, but it's just a weird area for me now as mom, so I head to the nurse (who is amazing and is constantly out of the country offering her services to needy countries...kind of makes you not need that tummy ache checked out so bad when you hear she's saving Haiti...)
Anywho. We are at the Dr a lot. Between Little Miss' nasty ear infections the first year of her life and Fo's first year of check ups and croup coming again and again...we know the staff there pretty well. Dic went for a check up yesterday and a nurse he didn't know was working. After checking him out she asked, "Is Fo feeling better?" He was confused until I reminded him that I had called about something Fo related last week.
When we walk in, the front desk ladies call out, "Welcome home!!!" I will say, I'm not just there because I'm paranoid. Every time I take my kids in, they have something wrong with 'em. Just gotta say.
Anywho again...We share a car and sometimes a gal just needs to get outta the house. So when Dic headed to his appointment, we went with him. We dropped him off, found a park to play at and headed back to get him when he was finished. I really didn't want to interrupt Little Miss' potty training, so I took her to the bathroom at the Dr office to see if she would go. By golly, she did! I was so surprised! Then immediately panicked when she asked for a "nummy".
I had zero nummies.
The sweet front desk ladies kindly asked my Dr for one and he gave me a little grief for it.
"Oh, I guess if it's for Little Miss..." I heard him call to his nurse. He then appeared around the corner to tease me more. I stopped him cold with:
"Listen, Buddy. We are here enough to pay you mortgage, so I'm certain I had something to do with the purchase of those suckers!"
OK, so I was a little nicer than that, but we all laughed and I went out to the car, jumping up and down with excitement that Little Miss used a public potty.
Later that day I tried to get her to go at my folks' house and it was like pulling teeth! (Or maybe just like trying to get a toddler potty trained) I realized later that she must view the Dr's office as her home away from home.
Hmmm...perhaps she will head into that field? Dr. Little Miss.
I'm Ok with that!

1 comment:

Amy said...

That's hilarious! Great job Little Miss!! I felt like that for a while with our kids old Dr., unfortunately we didn't care a whole lot for him, but if we become frequent visitors with our new Dr. we just got, I think we'll feel a little more comfortable and "at home" there!