Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Ew!

I've been working on Little Miss' manners and it is beginning to show. She says, "No gake you, Mommy" when she doesn't like something and really has "please" and "gake you" down. I've been down right beaming with pride.
Until some other phrases showed up in her vocabulary.
Now, she is more inclined to shout, "No Way!!!" if she doesn't like something.
Such as when I turned on the country music station the other day and she shouted, "No way, no way, no waaaaayy!!" and hid behind the curtain as I rocked out.
Hmmm. Such a confidence booster when the two year old is cooler than you are.
The real fun part was when she threw out her newest word at a nice restaurant on Mother's Day.
We had gone to the early service so that we could meet my folks and grandpa for lunch. (Our church gets out later and we live 30 minutes away) As Dic and I drove by the usual suspects for our family gatherings, we were overwhelmed by the massive crowds of people. What? Everyone else wants to eat out on Mother's Day, too? we're not the only ones?
Finally, we drove by a restaurant that had a fairly empty lot and no one waiting outside. We called the family and told them to meet us at the...fish house? Yup, 4 of the 6 of us eating despise fish, into the fish house we marched. And we got right in!
Little Miss was napping in the car so was quite clingy as we were seated. She sat on my lap, snuggling her blankie (aka-pink) close, looking over the menu with me. She was sweet and silent until:
"EWWWW, Mommy!!!"
People glanced our way and I turned a shy smile to them while trying to see what she was freaking out about.
"Ew, ew! Ew, Mommy. Ew!"
What in the world? Aha. There it was (or as she would say: shez) Right there on the middle page. A picture of a succulent plate of steak, potato and...ew indeed. Half a crab.
Really, I have never seen the appeal of tearing the legs off something to eat. OK, so you do that with chicken, but crab is prickly and scary and...
Yes, Little Miss, I heard you. Ew!
So that-along with Dic's little joke with my grandpa about how tomatoes are as disgusting as seafood in a loud enough voice for little deaf Gpa to hear, right in front of the waitress-explains why my husband was up sick all night Sunday.
Apparently we didn't impress the staff there.

1 comment:

Adrian said...

awesome. love you! sorry to hear about the daddy being up sick.