Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Wrong Store.

So I decided to bite the bullet and learn to sew. I've been seeking a place of business that offers beginner classes. One such inquiry went something like this:
I worked out at the gym the other morning and felt I needed a bit more of a cool down, so I walked across the street to a sewing and quilting store. I thought there was an announcement on their web page that they offer beginner classes.
The door jingled as I stepped in and three very petite ladies looked up from the counter, where they were busy eyeballing a magazine, and gave me a once over.
I was very aware that I stood in the beautiful craft store in my husband's black gym shorts and Sports Illustrated-Shirt. And was a bit damp.
I shrugged and said I had been working out, then explained my desire to learn to sew.
"So you're looking for a class for beginners?"
I nodded.
"Are you wanting to sew to make clothes, things like that?"
Another nod. "Really, I just want to learn to use my machine. Clothes, sheets, blankets, whatever."
They exchanged looks.
"We really don't offer anything like that."
I nonchalantly checked the sign on the door. Yup, I was in a sewing shop, surrounded by yards of fabric, sewing books and things. "Oh bummer."
"I mean, I guess we have a beginners' quilt class."
"Oh that would be fun. I could do that. I can be Amish." My attempt at a joke. (This was before my dishwasher broke)
"Oh, he, he. Well, I don't know. It's really a class where you do a project."
Like make a quilt, perhaps? "Oh that would be fine. I learn better that way."
At this point the main gal that was talking with me had to take a phone call, the younger had wandered away and the elder was more interested in telling me the name of a handyman to look at my machine (it's stuck on a weird stitch).
So...I guess that was that.
Tomorrow I'm headed to the mechanic in town to ask if he can teach me to sew. Because apparently I was barking up the wrong tree by heading to the craft/sew/quilt shop.

3 comments:

Angie said...

My friend Tammy from church is going to teach beginning sewing sometime soon. She is working with Natalie on quilting right now and does an amazing job on clothes, blankets, quilting, etc.. I want to take the class from her too.

The Hairista said...

Wonderful pictures :) Thank you for sharing. Sorry, I have been lacking in the blogging replies department. Things have been hectic here. I too want to learn to sew! I know my basics and I got a brand new machine for Christmas, I just have yet to use it. Good luck to you and your beautiful family! Love you.

denise said...

I can totally picture your story happening here too, at my mom's favorite fabric/quilting store. Those ladies wouldn't know a real beginner if she smacked them in the nose with her sewing bobbin.

I'd love to learn to sew too, but I don't seem to have the patience. My mom tried to teach me years ago and she's still recovering from that experience.