I had a wonderful holiday and visit with my husband's family. We are both so blessed to have amazing families. I hadn't seen Husband's oldest brother since we were married, so it was wonderful to see him and his boys and get to know them better. I am blessed and thankful for so many things. That being said...
I'm not going to talk about:
* Being possessive of my kitchen and Thanksgiving dinner and not willing to let anyone help
* My husband pulling me aside to correct my bad attitude
* Crying when Husband placed the pumpkin pies in the oven because I was busy nursing (I had made them and felt like him placing them in the oven took away the bragging rights somehow)
* My ugly side coming out toward my family
* Being protective of my daughter and a game of Yahtzee
* Going to see Santa even though I don't want to tell my girls much about Santa
* Changing my daughter's diaper and clothes on the bathroom counter at The Cheesecake Factory because they didn't have a changing table and I didn't want to walk to the store next door
* Laughing with my Mother-in-Law about the realization (after the fact) that The Factory has a family restroom that most certainly has a changing table
* The great disappointment I felt when New Born had a blow out on the adorable outfit she had been dressed in for Santa before we could take the pictures
* The double disappointment I felt when First Born spilled apple juice down the front of her matching outfit, also before the pictures

* Laughing so hard my tummy hurt when my sweet, God-fearing, praying mother-in-law threw out a bad word during Biggest Loser...something along the lines of "She should have dumped your ***"
* Playing football in the house with one of my nephews
* Hearing my mother-in-law talking to her mother on the phone about the kids, asking, "Didn't Richard ever send you pictures?!", and thinking about the stash of photos in the junk drawer that we indeed forgot to send to Great-Grandma...oops.
* The last minute trip to the post office to get Grandma her pictures
* Having a bad attitude about tree decorating because the setting wasn't right (needs to be: dark out, with hot chocolate, Christmas music, day of or after Thanksgiving. Was: day time, sodas, Curious George on tv, Monday after Thanksgiving)
* The absurd amount of candy my oldest daughter had and the sips of soda my husband kept sneaking to her (argh!!!!!)
I have so much to be Thankful for, so I AM going to mention:
* How glad I am that my kids have the sets of grandparents they do. While dating Husband, I certainly eye-balled his parents as potential in-laws, but didn't even think about what kind of grandparents they would be. They are terrific and my girls love them dearly
* The wonderful, crisp clean air I enjoyed on a long morning walk...by myself! I haven't been able to get out and really walk at a quick pace in a long time. It was glorious.
* The First Born height branch on our Christmas tree that is heavy laden with candy canes and ornaments
* The soft, cheery glow of lights in our front room and kitchen
* My love for cluttered Christmas trees, full of mismatched, handmade ornaments
* A new (to us) couch and rocking chair that a sweet, sweet family gifted us this week...along with a couple bags of clothes and a box of toys that their youngest had outgrown that will be perfect for our girls
* The final payment was made on our big credit card and after looking some things over, we will be out of debt in 15 months!!!
* How much I ache for the families of those officers in Washington...how glad I am that the officer who found the killer was not hurt...how I pray for protection over officers even more specifically now
* How thankful I am that my parents let us borrow their truck since the 6 of us wouldn't have been able to go anywhere together in our car
* How proud I am of First Born for saying so many new words, for being a loving, spirited young girl that makes me laugh every day, and for sleeping (all night, every night) in her toddler bed!
* How happy I am with Newborn's sweet, happy spirit. Her bright smile and soft coos. For the tender, sweet spirit I already see in her
* My hard working, loving, helpful, involved husband. A more wonderful husband to me and father to my children I never could have found
* Our first family Photo...as uncoordinated as it is:
* And last, but most importantly: The amazing things I'm learning about God in my Bible study. Truly, His mysteries are limitless. His power, love, mercy, wisdom...He just goes on and on. Bible study is always exciting because there is always something to learn. Always. I'm in awe of how very big He is. How very purposeful each day of life is. The God who is revealed through scriptures is no less present and purposeful today. He is the same yesterday, today and forever!! Blessed be the name of the Lord!!!!
Anything you DON'T or DO want to talk about?!
4 comments:
Hey Beautiful~
I do not want to talk the new word my youngest learned at blessed PUBLIC school(Grr, sometimes, SOMEtimes!I really want to throw a FIT sometimes!). And the horror I felt when she walked up to me after school, LOUDLY asking me if sh*t is a bad word. And the slight relief I felt that the person I happened to be visiting with was a lotta deaf grandpa.
Yep, I do not want to talk about that.
Love ya! XOXO
p.s. happy ending to the story, phoebes and I talk about how only God's word can push the bad words out of our head and the world has yucky stuff in it that we have to fight, but Jesus is ready to fight for and with us, we just ask Him, and together we search for scripture and Bible songs to keep her mind off of the new knowledge.
It sounds like a fun and wonderfully eventful holiday! When is the next playdate?
Thanks for the sweet, funny, honest post. I needed that today.
I love reading your posts. They are so fun, honest, and make me laugh! I watched that monlogue and thought is was pretty funny. Hey we bought a new game, you guys will have to come play with us :)
Post a Comment