Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Tub and Give Away Deadline

Real quick- I left the give away pretty open-ended. So the deadline to comment is Friday evening and I will announce the winner next week. You can comment here or on my last post and I will enter your name for as many times as you comment. If you make me laugh, I might throw your name in the drawing another time :)
Great guesses on the tub. I wish it was new linens for Thanksgiving, but I fear I am not that fancy or organized. I also wish my Christmas decorations were that organized...if I'm brave I'll post pictures of that tangled mess.
It IS for brining my turkey. I had never heard of that until last year and I've been planning to brine all year. I'm so excited about it that I've had dreams about the brining the last two nights and I almost forgot to feed Harper before I got started this morning. I found my recipe on Food Network, but you can Google and find plenty.
Mine:
3 quarts hot water
2 cups regular salt
2 cups honey
1 cup molasses
red pepper flakes (a handful - ish)
2 heads of garlic - broken up and tossed in, skins and all
handful of dried sage
packet of fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary and sage blend)
cold water ad ice to cool it down.
I mixed it all together, dissolving the salt in hot water. I used that tub for the turkey to bathe in. It's out in the garage (do you love my father-in-law's soda stash?) and all 18lbs will soak in it's special bath until tomorrow morning. I will rinse it off, pat it dry, stuff it with herbs, onion, garlic, and a lemon. I have a cheesecloth ready to soak in melted butter and white wine which will cover the turkey like a blanket while it roasts on a bed of carrots and celery. Yuuuummmmm. I've never had a moist turkey. I've had delicious ones for sure, but I always need a helping of gravy to moisten it up. I can't wait to report on this turkey!!!






What are your Thanksgiving secrets?

3 comments:

Lisa said...

We tried brining our turkey three years ago, and it was absolutely the best bird I've ever had. Since then, someone else always makes the turkey, which is a little disappointing bacause I'd love to make it like that again. Happy Thanksgiving!

Amy.E said...

I'm not doing the turkey this year, so don't get to join in the turkey brining excitement; however, I do fully intend to buy a on sale turkey after the holidays and roast that baby for some post T-day grub and...the best part...leftovers! Your bird looks fabulous. Can't wait to hear about the results!

Chris D. said...

You amaze me! I would not have dreamed of hosting Thanksgiving after baby number two. God is so good to provide the strength for each day. Amen! My 5 and I cleaned all day yesterday, set up tables and chairs for 35 and were able to have our socks blessed off as each person walked in the door to sup with us. It was a lovely afternoon filled with delicious food, sweet fellowship and a Nerf gun war to finish it all off(its a family thing lately). Looking forward to hearing if I will be brining our bird next year.