I've been selling quite a few things on craigslist and we're just about at our goal. Phew! I'm tired of this world of selling; I feel greedy.
A plus, however, is that I have met a couple ladies that I want to be friends with. I'm not sure how to make that happen without coming across as creepy. I guess I could email that spunky, homeschooling mother of six and say something like:
"I think I left something in the pocket of one of those diapers. Want to meet me at the Mexican place in town for chips and iced tea?..."
One sweet gal came to look over our table and while she didn't buy it, she certainly seemed to be someone I could meet at a nice place for a cheese platter and glass of wine and good conversation.
And the couple that came today to look at the table?
I felt like I had met The Pioneer Woman! I've just started reading that site, so I might be way off course comparing the two, but she was just precious.
Someone I could bake with and laugh hysterically over things with.
And her cattle rancher of a husband (seriously) took off his hat (I swear) to greet me.
As they were leaving, he again removed his hat (for real!) and wished me a good day.
Now I'm not implying I was melting in my slippers or anything - I have my own hunk-a-burnin' love to hold onto - but the storybook dreamer in me longs to live in a place where men are respectful to women and we appreciate it...and are respectful in return.
I could really get into how I feel about this, but I'm not in the mood to climb on my soapbox, so I'll just say a bit of what I've been thinking about:
I am so happy that I live in the time I do and I am thankful for the women that fought tirelessly for our rights...but along the way some femininity was lost and that makes me sad.
It's tough being a woman in a world where you are expected to act like a man.
I'm not weak or incapable.
But I am a girl that wants to be cherished by my husband.
I want him to open spaghetti jars for me so I can reward him with a kiss.
I want to allow men to open doors for me and teach my girls to do the same.
While I would rather men kept filthy words out of their vocabulary altogether, I would appreciate if they at least would keep it under their hats when me and my girlfriends are in the room.
I want cowboys to remove their hats for me when we meet.
Is that so wrong?
If it is, then lucky for me I have a wild imagination and a story that needs writing, so I can create whatever world I want.
What's a simple thing you long for in your dream world?
3 comments:
Wow, you have such a sweet, romantic dreamworld. Mine's simpler. Just a cook and a maid.
Hey, I met a Cowboy here too, with a big ol' belt buckle, a cowboy hat, which he raised when he met me, and long, lanky wranglers and i wouldn't have been surprised to see a gun belt slung around his waist. I had the same reaction you did and had to reassure my hunkahunka what it WASN'T and what it was. Taken aback and pleased at the action. The show of ...respect? Honor? Something.
BTW, reach out to those girls, bet they need a friend too. The times God has given me that feeling of being drawn to someone they have turned to be a friendship I would have hated to miss!! So do it!
And, a simple thing I long for in my dream world... I don't know...seems like a simple question... um, I guess, simplicity. XO
I've totally wanted to become friends with people I meet on Craigslist too...I'm too scaredy to ask them to do something though. Once I went to go look at a car with a couple (young) friends, and the lady selling the truck learned that my friends' mom had passed away, and she offered to sometime help my (then 12 yr old) friend learn how to wear makeup or paint nails or something. It wasn't creepy, it was really sweet, and meant a lot to my friend. You never know what it could mean to them. It wouldn't hurt to try. :) We never did take her up on her offer, my friend's dad was not too excited about strangers, understandably, but still...
Never met a cowboy that has taken off his hat for me, but I've met a few gentlemen that I've wanted to give my friends' numbers to. ;)
Post a Comment