Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Jesus Loves You

Yesterday morning Harper and I slipped out early and met my dad for breakfast. In a world that (I believe) is void of many real men, I have been blessed with a handful in my life. I am surrounded by men of integrity and honor and I try very hard not to take that for granted. My dad is an especially "good egg". My memories of him throughout life are both simple and profound. He and my mom did their best to make a good life for us. They made mistakes (what parent doesn't?!), but they tried with all they had to raise my sister and I to be God-loving/fearing/serving women.
One of my favorite memories of my dad is simple and constant: Every morning, I would wander into the living room and find him in his chair with a lamp on behind him, reading the Bible and sipping his coffee. I can see him in this position in numerous homes and stages of life. My folks lived with us for a couple months around the time Raegan was born and I often found him like that in my living room. What an example this man has been to me. What a treasure.
As kids my Dad was very good about taking us on dates. I still, as a 28 year old woman, need my dad dates and he is always willing to oblige and meet me early for breakfast. These mornings are so full and precious. He is a wealth of knowledge and I want to soak up as much as I can. He is always first to remind me that this knowledge that I admire comes directly from his study of God's word. He just repeats back what the Lord has taught him.
When he met each of my daughters, his first words to them were the same: "Hello Sweetness. Jesus loves you." I tear up thinking of it even now because I know that he wants them to know that as early as possible. Don't we all need assurance of that? Isn't it amazing that it's true? Really, really? So if you haven't been told that today, allow me: Jesus loves you. Right where you are. Simply. Inexplicably. Immeasurably. He loves you.

My Dad held Harper for me for a while yesterday (I had to really twist his arm!!!) so I could...you know...slip away for a moment. When I returned to the table he was singing praise songs quietly over her. He didn't care about the bustle of the restaurant or who might hear and see. He just wanted to praise the Lord for her life. Shouldn't we all long to praise God in every moment, despite what is going on around us? Certainly it's easier to do with a scrumptious newborn in our arms...

6 comments:

Lisa said...

You're dad is an awesome guy. I'm glad that you have been blessed with someone like that in your life!

The Hairista said...

I remember some of those times with your dad. I remember watching you two together and wishing I had that in my life. Your dad is amazing and I loved him(whether he or anyone knew it). I honestly feel blessed to have known him when I was a kid. You are so blessed, Bobo!

Amy said...

What a treasure. I remember being a kid, then a teenager, then an adult, wandering out for a drink of water early early in the morning, and I'd find my dad in the dark corner, on his knees praying. He's a quiet guy, but just to see him praying made a huge impact on me. I want my kids to see me dependant on God alone. Thanks for the reminder. It's been a while since I've hit my knees.

denise said...

I got choked up reading your post and seeing that sweet picture of your dad holding Harper. He sounds like an incredible man!

The Hairista said...

I was just thinking last night after reading this blog. Do you remember when we would get home from Skate World, all those late nights and your dad would make us real milk shakes and in the morning he would be up bright and early to make us grits and eggs? :) Good times!

ali said...

yes sissy! we are truly blessed with a wonderful servant of God for a father. i honestly don't think we would've made it without his example of God's love for us.