Mr and I went through quite a few names with Fo's pregnancy. We did not have nearly the same problem with Raegan. Raegan was going to be Megan for about a day, then Richard found Raegan in the baby name book and he was sold. Since he picked her first name, I got the middle. She was Raegan Elizabeth the entire pregnancy. However, she was born on the 11th anniversary of my Grandma Victoria's death and when I looked at her the first time I knew she was a Raegan Victoria. Simple as that.
Harper, was quite another story. This time I got the first and Richard took the middle and it changed A LOT. For a long time she was going to be Maleah. Leah for short. We got the name off of a Dateline episode. The story was creepy, but they kept talking about a little girl named Maleah and we loved it. Then we were watching the news and realized that one of the Obama girls is Maleah. Even thought I don't hate Obama, I jsut didn't want to name our daughter after his daughter. I wouldn't have picked Chelsea, Jenna or Barbara either. I just don't love the idea of naming the same as someone famous around the time that they are super famous...such as naming our daughter after the current president's daughter. Like I said, I don't love the idea of being a name stealer.
Then her name was Hannah. I have always loved that name, but for some reason, it just didn't feel right for this baby. Then we tried Olivia. I begged for Pheobe. My favorite pick was Hadassah. Seriously, I love that name. But I understand why Richard doesn't. Finally, exasperated, I was reading through a baby name list online and I was on the H's. After i read a bunch, Richard stopped me at Harper. He loved it. I agreed. It fits with Raegan and I like that it's a little different. So Harper it was.
Since Raegan is after one of my grandma's, Richard decided it was his family's turn. We love both his grandma's (as well as my living Granny) and played with their names. Grandma Maxine and I have formed a special relationship (as much as one can when you never get to see them) through books. The first time I met them, she gave me her entire collection of Reader's Digest novels. We just love her so much and wanted to honor her with Harper's name. So that's where Maxine came from.
Harper Maxine. There you go. It fits her perfect and Raegan has been calling her "BarBar". I love it!
Raegan and I had a lovely morning. Harper and Richard slept in and Rae and I enjoyed our first "normal" morning in weeks. I've really missed our routine. She has a new book that is full of animal puzzle pieces. We sat and played with the puzzle book with Chip n' Dale on in the background. It was lovely. I love both my girls, but have been missing my time with Raegan. What a lovely, beautiful morning.
Grandma Maxine playing with Raegan last spring. We all met up at Richard's parents' house and had a wonderful vacation.
3 comments:
I glanced at the picture and thought, "Oh my word! That little Harper is so advanced for her age." Ha! Glad you explained.
(Oops...saw a typo and re-posted my comment.)
I really love the name you picked out. I can't wait to meet her! (Possibly a play date when you're feeling up to it?)
It is hard not to love the name Hadassah after reading the Mark of the Lion books.
Post a Comment