Monday, September 21, 2009

Not Me Monday

I did not just chase Rae around the island in the kitchen with a hankie and fierce determination.

I did not relish my hour alone at the grocery store yesterday. When I came home, I did not want to laugh when Richard told me how crazy it was while I was gone. I did not want to point out that what he experienced is my everyday life. Not me!

I did not then try to make rolls while Richard took a shower. I did not then have to shove down all my earlier giggles and smugness since Harper wanted to be held and I had to make the rolls with one hand. Not me!

I did not think it was adorable when (before Harper needed to be held) I was looking over the recipe with my elbows on the counter and face in my hands Raegan climbed the stool next to the counter and mimicked my stance. I don't absolutely love that she chooses baking with me over her toys and Curious George.

At the store yesterday, I was not delighted when my hair stylist came over to say hi. I was not immediately mortified by how I looked: messy bun, spit-up on my shirt, overgrown eye brows...sigh. Not me. I also do not use the term "stylist" loosely since I haven't been to the salon (even for a trim) in over a year. Not Me.

I was not delighted when I fit into numerous pairs of pre-pregnancy jeans yesterday. I was not equally disappointed that they were really uncomfortable around my belly. I am not ignoring the love handles and telling myself that I have to keep wearing maternity jeans because of my incision. Not Me!

I did not seriously consider sneaking out to my sister's garden and eating her entire vine of strawberries at our family dinner last night. I would never think of hording such sweet deliciousness for myself. I did not then stay inside so I wouldn't be tempted.

I am not typing this entire post with one hand because Harper cries every time she is put down lately. When Raegan was little, I was not totally baffled by parents who said they couldn't get anything done because they couldn't put their babies down. I do not totally get it now that I have such a cuddle bug in our Harper. I am not frazzled that it takes almost an entire day for me to sneak in a shower. I am not embarrassed that I just admitted that on the Internet.

I am not in denial that my niece is 15 today. I do not want to gush and fuss over her with pride. I do not love that girl to pieces and think she is the most beautiful girl I have ever seen. Not me!

I did not just realize that this Not Me post and my Sleepless Saturday confessions are pretty much the same thing.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Your "Not Me Monday" posts always make me smile. Hope everyone is feeling better! (Maybe a play date next week...?)

denise said...

How sweet that Raegan wanted to bake with you! I can't believe that you're already fitting into pre-pregnancy clothes. Way to go!

Angie said...

You need to bring Harper and the maya wrap over so I can show you how to put it on and carry her in it. It will free your arms up so much! It is great for babies who want held a lot. Hope everyone is feeling better. If you want to come play this week, just let me know :)