Anyway. This Saturday I am thinking back on those McDonald's rescues because I realize that I have often looked at those memories with my dad as the hero and forgot about the heroine at home that needed that Saturday morning break. I think it's easy to forget about the mom's side of sacrifice because it was so constant, such an everyday thing, that it became normal. I'm tired so this might not be making sense.
Let me try saying it this way: Harper now has Raegan's cold. She couldn't be put down all night because she was so snotted up that breathing was impossible for her and she would scream like crazy if we tried. She is also quite the cuddle bug. So Richard stayed up with her until the wee hours of morning and I took over for the second shift. She and I watched the end of "The Notebook" and "Singing in the Rain" in between constant rocking and nose sucking (ya know, those lovely blue bulbs they give you at the hospital?). In the few peaceful moments where Harper got some sleep and I was stroking her soft hair, I realized all that my mom has done for me that I have consistently overlooked.
I remember the lovely smell of stew simmering on the stove when I came home from school on a snowy day: I never think about the hour of preparation that went into making the stew.
I remember the feel of her stroking my back and hair when I was sick: I never think of the sleep she was losing to stay up with me.
I remember when two of my four brothers died and her gently explaining that they were in heaven: I never thought about how awful it must have been to say those words. To look into your daughters' eyes and try to make sense of such misery.
So many things came to mind last night as I prayed over my daughter, kissed her head, tried time and again to determine if she had a fever. Silent love that she won't remember. Unless God blesses her with her own children years from now and she has a sleepless night to look back and realize...
Sigh. I'm such a sap sometimes. I sat down to confess some sleep deprived oopsies I have made recently and here I go, getting all soft. Just needed to get that out before I lost it.
So now, on to "Sleepy Saturday", the post that confesses mishaps and bad decisions that can only be blamed on sleepless nights. Which everyone in the world experiences at some point! So, recently, due to lack of sleep, I have:
Flushed part of a cloth diaper down the toilet. A thick piece of cloth. Right down the toilet. And I looked around to see where I put it (even though I didn't go anywhere after the fatal flush) for quite a bit before I realized that I forgot to take it out of the toilet after cleaning it out. Oops.
Decided that the entire living room needed to be rearranged so that I could put the baby swing in a different corner. And it needed to be done right that minute. Who cares about having surgery a month ago and barely being able to lift Raegan? The couches needed to be moved! Ouch.
Scolded my husband for eating too many of the cookies I made for him. Even though they are his favorite (which is why I made them) and he showers me with compliments with each bite, I scowl and shake my head every time he eats one.
Given into my droopy eyelids and tucked Harper next to me on the couch and gone to sleep. Despite the fact that I am adamantly against co-sleeping because I know that I will roll right on top of her and hate myself for it forever. (For the record, we slept in peace for two hours this way and it was heaven)
Consumed two cups of coffee when I knew Richard was going to let me take a nap soon. The need to tap my foot incessantly tells me that nap might not be coming anytime soon.
Danced around wildly to a Psalty CD to entertain Raegan while she ate breakfast the other day.
Pumped on one side while feeding Harper on the other AND tried to explain to Raegan all about the special milk God gives Mommies for their babies while trying to keep a straight face as Richard is laughing behind the pillow across the room...
That's it for now. So, fellow bloggers, Moms, Dads, singles, anyone, really...what interesting things have YOU done in a sleep deprived state lately?
(Oh, and just because I know the Grandparents are probably going crazy - here are some random pictures!)
2 comments:
This made me cry. Love you! XOXO
You bring that sweet little baby over here and I will hold her and snuggle her and suck her sweet little nose clean of ickies :) and you can zone out on my couch and watch Friends :). I would love to help!!
Post a Comment