Sunday, September 27, 2009

Coffee Date

You would have thought I was going on a blind date or something.
While I straightened my hair, twirled my mascara wand and spritzed my favorite perfume (perhaps all at once), I reviewed every possible way the coffee date could go:
It could be awkward.
It could be fun.
It could be boring.
Could be crazy.
Could be scary.
Could be disappointing.
Could be the start of a new friendship.

A few months ago, a fellow blogger began to leave comments after my posts. Funny and empathetic. Quirky and sincere. It actually took me a while to get over to visit her blog. Once I did, I was immediately drawn to Denise as a kindred spirit.
When she found me on Facebook a few weeks later, I might have freaked out a bit. Not so much because she contacted me; I was excited to chat with her. But the fact that such a sweet, innocent person could find me so easily scared me a bit. I also figured, "Big deal, so we're gonna chat on Facebook, it's not like she's coming over."
Then the email came that she and her husband were coming over. To my neck of the woods, anyway. And she wanted to meet.
Hmmmm...
I hesitated at first. In fact, Richard was going to be out of town the weekend she was talking about coming (for a family thing - not just to meet me) and I was trying to work it out to meet up with him at the end of his work thing. So, really, I didn't have to decide if I felt comfortable with it or not.
Then Richard's training week was cancelled and I had a decision to make.
I'm a worrier. I watch far too many Dateline episodes and scare myself silly. After talking it over with Richard, I decided it was an opportunity I couldn't pass up. We planned to meet at a local coffee shop and asked my parents to watch the girls - regardless of my comfort with it, I'm not about to be foolish with my children.
Yesterday morning I posted snippets of our conversation as we planned the meeting.
Yesterday afternoon, as Richard and I ordered our coffee and waited for Denise and C.P. to show up, all those funny, light-hearted conversations were replaced by a serious case of nerves.
Poor Richard was ambushed:
What is she doesn't like me?
What if in person I am nothing like I am on my blog?
What if they're weird? Then I've lost this great friend I just made...
What if?
What if?
What IF?!?!?!
I need not have worried. We laughed. We shared. We thanked our husbands for putting up with us. We hugged and snapped a few pictures.
As we drove away I prattled on and on:
Oh that was so great!
Man! Why do they have to live so far away?!
That was so short! Didn't you think it went way too fast?
I think we all could have such fun!
Do you think I made too many jokes about wine? They probably think we're lushes!
I interrupted too much again! I really need to get that under control.
Man that went fast! Don't you think...?
Ha! Thank you Denise and Husband for taking time out of your weekend getaway to meet a couple of crazies. It was such fun and I hope the opportunity arises again soon. And I hope you had a wonderful date, even if you didn't go to the tea shop!

Great new friends. He was amazing for taking two hours out of his romantic, kid-free getaway with his wife to visit with complete strangers! She is just as funny, genuine and sweet as she is on her blog.

They brought us some wine in a gift bag (long story behind the wine)
For some reason they felt awkward toting it across the street and into the coffee shop in plain view. Leave it to me: I whipped it out and snapped pictures (although this one was taken at my house) Richard and I are planning a simple date night at home this week (after the kids go to bed) and it will be lovely to enjoy a glass together. Thanks again!

I was so embarrassed to stand next to this beautiful woman and have our picture taken. I am a rather plain Jane and feel especially frumpy these days. At least I didn't have any noticeable spit-up on my shirt!!

1 comment:

denise said...

The time really did fly, didn't it? Too bad we don't live closer...you guys are definitely fun people we'd want to hang out with.

I'm so glad you decided we were worth the risk :) Although, after meeting Richard, I wonder if he might have actually enjoyed the challenge of dealing with two crazies.