Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Bummed with Smiles

Last spring one of my biggest dreams was realized: I became a published author. I was able to write an article for a local magazine. I was given an assignment for the next issue and was paid for that one.
I had privately told God that I wanted to tithe that payment to Him is some way. To thank Him. To honor Him. To commit whatever might come of my "writing career" to Him.
I got my check and...took my family out for pizza. Hmmm...nice promise, eh?
I wasn't asked to write for the magazine again. Interesting.
God didn't ask me to promise that money to Him. It was all my idea. But I do believe that once I made that promise, He expected me to honor it. I am ashamed and sorry. Bummed that my stomach and the pride behind taking Richard out with my own money won out.
I have been praying for an opportunity to fulfill my promise.
The other night I found out that that particular magazine has been transformed into another one and now they have writers on staff. Plenty of them. I am a little discouraged. Now that Harper is letting me sleep four hours in a row at night and I feel a little more normal, I'm ready to write again. But what? And for what?
I'm a little bummed.
But, God is good to me. He gives me simple pleasures to enjoy each day. So instead of being bummed, I want to share some smiles with you:

I coaxed (or maybe violently forced) Raegan's hair into "big girl" piggies the other day. I think she is just so precious. Richard doesn't like her hair like this because she looks so grown up to him. She is getting bigger and bigger all the time.

Raegan loves Harper. Harper was having a moment here, but Raegan was sure to give me a cheesy grin. She has been very concerned when Harper cries lately. She says, "Uh-oh!!" and rushes over to see what she can do. All too soon I know she will be the cause of some tears...but for now I will enjoy her big sister compassion. However short-lived it may be.

Last night she found the nose sucky and I thought it would be funny to show her what it's used for. She scrunched up her nose and scurried away...only to come back pointing at her nose and asking me to "suck her brains out" again...oops. Richard and I got some good laughs out of her faces last night. This morning I came in from getting my coffee and found her trying to suck out Harper's nose. Ahhh!!!!

Raegan had her first time-out today. I was feeling very frustrated with her and decided at the time that time out would be better than a swat to the hand...I was pretty mad. After a few deep breaths (and a minute of chatting online with a friend)
I was calm and realized I should document her first time-out...perhaps for a blog post? This is the picture I got...don't think she really gets the concept yet.
What is making you smile today? Anything bumming you out that I can pray for?

1 comment:

denise said...

I love the picture of Reagan with her pigtails. So cute! Also, she does seem pretty happy for being in a "time out." Funny!

Are you still working on your book?