Remember on "Alice in Wonderland"? She says, "Curiouser and curiouser," the deeper she follows the little white rabbit into Wonderland. Certainly I have not been following any little white rabbits or growing too big for houses (although I feel like a house!) or been bullied by any flowers. But this pregnancy just keeps me on my toes.
A few times in the last month I have experienced a strange blurry spot in my eyes. It usually goes away quickly. The first time it happened, I had a headache as well, so naturally I thought "hypertension!" and called the on-call dr. I went in to triage, was monitored and let go. So the next time it happened, I thought nothing of it.
Yesterday, the blurry spot was more intense and intruding than I had experienced in the past. I called the on-call (who happened to be my dr yesterday) and she was really concerned. So into triage we went. (We almost turned around and came home because it went away before we got there and I felt silly. Thank goodness my husband is wiser than I) Raegan and Richard stayed in the lobby while I was taken back. The nurse was so sweet. I was hoping that they would just say: "Yup, blood pressure's high, let's get that baby out" just so she could be my nurse during labor! They took blood, hooked me up and all that jazz.
Soon, she came in and handed me a phone. My dr was on the other end and told me all my samples were fine, blood pressure was terrific and baby was fine, so she felt out of her expertise. She was going to conference with an ER dr and let me know where to go from there.
Uh...ok. Richard and I had a good laugh about this being "out of her area". Don't you always assume dr's know everything about every medical condition? I guess that really isn't fair to them to expect that, but that's how I always thought. Anywho.
To make this long story a smidge shorter, I was wheeled down to ER to be evaluated. All I could see were dollar signs! They gave me Tylenol and I pictured them being $500.00 each. My phone was on roaming and I sarcastically told Richard that even text messages were more expensive in the ER!
Our dr was sweet and very goofy. He drew a diagram of eyes and brain on the bed sheets with his pen...interesting. And after lots of babble I didn't understand, he came to the conclusion that I have A-typical migraines that are causing my blurry vision problems.
I forgot to mention that my friend was throwing me a baby shower at a Mexican restaurant last night at 6:30. I went into the hospital at 4:45 and left by 7:30. Fortunately my friends were still there and Richard raced me to the shower. It was so nice to sit out on the patio and chat with friends that I don't get to see often. Fo was given some super cute clothes and it was such a good time.
This week should be pretty fun and hectic. My bosom buddy, Jeni, is coming into town tomorrow night with her twin girls. The twins are 3 weeks older than Raegan and so precious! Jeni lives on the other side of the country and it's awful! Her parents live about 8 hours from me, so she is stopping at my house on the way to and from visiting them. I'm so excited!!!! My in-laws are also coming back through on their way home from the funeral this week. (Richard decided not to go. He feels that if he missed the birth, he would regret that more than missing the service. He loved his grandpa and is sad. The timing just plain stinks.) So we will have a busy house this week. I'm excited to have something on my mind other than baby Fo's arrival. I wake up with butterflies every day wondering: "Is this the day, Little One?" and it's driving me bonkers!
I'm not superstitious, but I do look at things extra close to see if I'm being given any "signs" of what's to come. Such as: 1)my own dr being on call last night, 2) the wonderful nurse that checked me in, 3)my dad finally answering his phone when he did to come get Raegan for us, 4)the whopper of a contraction that I had while hooked up last night...I kept rolling those things in my head and thinking, "hmmmm...this could be it!". And here I sit the next morning, babbling like a fool about it all. My goal is to just be calm and let this baby come when God intends for her to. And to enjoy the ease of just one baby that I have to chase after for now;)
2 comments:
I'm glad everything checked out OK and that you were still able to make it to your shower! Won't you be just so relieved to have this pregnancy thing over with? :)
I don't blame you for wondering about the vision thing, and it was smart to go to the dr. I had similar symptoms when I was pregnant and found out that I did have preeclampsia. So my little one came 5 weeks early.
How wonderful that your friend can come for a visit. I'm sure your girls will have a fun time too.
Post a Comment