Friday, July 17, 2009

Progress

I have hit that point in pregnancy check-ups where I have to get checked. Wahoo.(note sarcasm, please). I was shocked today when they told me I am dilated to a 1. I am 34 weeks today and I guess with baby #2, I shouldn't be surprised that my body is already kicking things into gear. Nothing else was heading toward labor, so the 1 doesn't mean much at this point in time. Just interesting :)
I felt so bad for my husband today. We had a different doctor today (due to scheduling conflicts) and she was very sweet and informative. And expressive. She looked at my chart and exclaimed just what every pregnant woman wants to hear:
"Wow! We have a big baby!" Then she launched into a topic my doctor has never mentioned: a C-Section. Hmmmm...not planning that, but yes, I understand that there is always a possibility.
She then looked at my sweet husband (who caught a softball with his thigh while pitching in a game last night and was in a lot of pain still) and informed him that he has a big head.
Apparently she didn't think we had noticed (it's really not that big, but OBs have a very different view of the world!) or realized that this baby could have Richard's genes.
She just kept making me more comfortable about giving birth, that's for sure :)
Anyway. We have an ultrasound in two weeks just to keep tabs on baby "Fo's" size. My tummy, however, has not grown at all since last visit. I am now only measuring 3 weeks big!! The baby has dropped so they don't expect me to expand much more...at least not in ways we can measure. I guess. She was so informative that I left there with a book of questions! Ever had a doctor like that?
Oh, one other interesting tid bit: She was poking my belly and naming parts for me.
"There's her bum. And her back. And I can still move her head, so she's not engaged."
Uh, excuse me? You can move her head?
She then proceeded to teach me how to put my hands on my belly on either side of her little head and play "ping pong" (her words!) with her head. "Won't hurt her a bit," she said.
Probably not. But I'm not in the business of making little defenseless babies irritated with me at this point in time. Thank you.

2 comments:

Angela said...

I like this doctor, she's funny. It is said that with each pregnancy/delivery the labor goes faster. I think in a lot of cases this is true but obviously not in all cases. Just be aware that when labor does hit, it could go quick. That is excited you are already dilated. I bought baby Fo the cutest little "thing" today, I am so excited. :)

Lisa said...

Wow. What great bedside manner! Hopefully she won't be anywhere nearby when you deliver! Glad to hear everything is going well, though!