Thursday, July 16, 2009

Babies and Bandwagons

Update on Miss Allie real quick - I got a text from Amy yesterday and the plan was to move Allie back to the hospital closest to them - out of NICU!! They are hoping to bring that precious bundle home next week. Praise God!!! Will continue to update and will most certainly post pictures when they have a welcome home party for her ;) Also, anyone in our area who wants to prepare a meal for Amy and Zeb for when they get home, let me know. Meals they can freeze and heat up would be awesome, as well as fresh ones. I'm trying to organize something, so just let me know :)

As far as bandwagons, I have hopped on board what turns out to be a controversial one :

Wow! I mentioned that I was going to try cloth diapers and got lots of feedback - some not so "with me" and some great advice. I remember a friend of mine switched to cloth when Raegan was tiny and Richard and I were adamantly against doing the same. No way. No how. This pregnancy I have been fiddling with our budget and trying to make a skeleton one (budget) for when baby "Fo" comes. Yikes! Diapers are going to break the bank!!! So I decided to research this cloth thing. How "hippie" would I be if I did this? Would I have to also eat only organic, have a family bed (not judging, just not for us) or nurse until the baby is 5? (again, just not for us!). Does it matter?
The answer is: I can be me and put my babies in cloth diapers. Astonishing! And after all the research I've done, it seems I can save a load of money doing it! So, now you all get to hear about the adventure when it starts. We will probably get Raegan's supply next month, then get "Foshizzle's" in September. Should be interesting :)
Any of you hop on any bandwagons lately? Or any you just refuse to be a part of? Personally, while I agree that it is our moral duty to care for our environment (since God basically commanded us to in Genesis 2:15), I will NOT join in the "Go Green" "Carbon Footprint" "Global Warming" stuff. I think it's all overdone. God is still on His throne and He promised (Genesis 8:22) that we would have seasons just as we always have. So I'm not worrying or using cloth to "change the planet" but to change my budget;)
Anywho...not making much sense as I am rushing to finish before baby wakes up.
Hope you all have a marvelous day. I welcome any thoughts/comments because I like to hear other opinions!

5 comments:

Lisa said...

I personally don't have any experiences with cloth diapers. (I was never brave enough to try them.) My sister-in-law did, though. She had issues with the diapers sagging, then leaking in horrid ways. That doesn't mean that you'll have the same problems, though. I say good for you for giving them a try! Disposables really are hard on the checkbook.

Amy said...

I've heard bumGenius is awesome! Plus, it's all one size, it snaps into the different sizes, has inserts you can double up on overnight or when you're expecting a "big one", and I almost jumped on board except Andy was freaked out about it, and my excitement, in waiting for him to join me, fizzled out after a few weeks of waiting. You should totally go for it!

Amy said...

to buy a package of 18 new bumGenius diapers it's about 300, but this way you only buy the same size, it lasts from newborn to toddler, and bumGenius is on of the top notch and my friend who uses them said she rarely has leaks.

denise said...

I think it's great that you're trying cloth diapers. I'm with you on saving money and being a good steward. (Incidentally, the phrase "carbon footprint" is like fingernails on a chalkboard. Enough already!)

One resource that has been helpful for my thrifty homemaking is grocerycartchallenge.blogspot.com

Alaina said...

I like cloth diapering - we do both. Disposable when we are out or he isn't feeling very well and cloth at home. Love bumgenius - they really don't leak very often at all! I have 18 of them. We do it for a variety of reasons including frugality and environmental reasons but didn't with our first two.

Best things about modern day cloth diapering:
-you can get a hose to hook on to your toilet for rinsing the poopy ones.
-the water proof bags for the diaper bag or the large one instead of a diaper pail - keeps the smell down.
-the flushable liners avail. - flush when poopy, wash when not, throw away when worn out.

We like cottonbabies.com for ordering everying. Hope that helps - probably gave you more than you wanted. :)