Saturday, July 4, 2009

Prayer Request and Fourth of July Thoughts

I wish I could figure out how to put links in here, but I'll have to direct you the old fashioned way: there is a link on the Bring the Rain blog for the prayer request I have. Kate McRae, a gorgeous little girl, has a massive brain tumor. They operated on her yesterday and removed 50% of it, but it's aggressive and (she and her family) has a long road ahead of her.
Is it just me, or is cancer everywhere? God is good and perfect and compassionate, even when circumstances in our lives hurt. I believe He calls us to trust Him and I also believe He calls us to pray together with our brothers and sisters in Christ. Even people we don't know. Pray for this family, please. In whatever way God leads you to. I can't imagine going through this with my Raegan or this little one inside me.
If anyone understands, it's our amazing God. He stood back and let His Son suffer and die on the cross for our freedom. Our reconciliation. I pray that someday the full impact of that sacrifice will be clear. Sometimes I take it for granted and just can't wrap my brain around it. This situation with Kate and the pain we feel as parents just imagining the circumstances are certainly a sliver of what our Savior went through for us.
I woke up this morning and have not been able to get this phrase out of my head:
Home of the Free
Because of the Brave.
How true that is here. And how much more freedom do we have in Christ because of His bravery and sacrifice? I am overwhelmed with it all today. So grateful.
Where I live we have a festival every year around the fourth of July that is very Christian based. It's a free outdoor concert (last year we had Mark Schultz - and yes, I ran right up front and jumped around like a crazed fan!), there are booths for ministries around the area, and we have a fabulous fireworks show at the end. One of the traditions (this thing has been in the works for almost 50 years!) is a military fly-over. We want to honor our troops and this is one way the festival does it. I didn't know this, but fly-overs must be approved by the Pentagon. We were denied this year. The festival is too "Christian" and they couldn't give permission for the fly-over. I am amazed at how blatant the statement from the Pentagon was. Such an interesting (and frightening) turn. It seems our freedom might start to waver a bit. But no matter what, we have freedom in Christ. I am so proud of our country's history and freedom at this time. I am not convinced we will stay free. But, without hesitation or fear, I know that I have confidence in my God that I will always have freedom in Him.
And so do you.
Wishing you a fabulous Fourth!
By the way, Richard and I had so much fun celebrating our anniversary yesterday. We went to see Up! (GREAT movie!!!), played miniature golf and went to a simple dinner. We were laughing the whole time about how amazing it was to not have little hands grabbing for things on the table!! It was wonderful! But we were very glad to pick up a dirty Raegan from Grandma and Grandpas. I love dirty kids. Dirty = fun in my book!

3 comments:

Katie@ThisCrazyLife said...

I totally agree with your sentiments, and I loved following your story this week, but that is not the reason for my comment. I will attempt to teach you the "link thing".

Okay, so when you are composing a new post and you have to be in compose mode, not edit html mode, there is a bar across the top with different options. The one right after the color selector is the link option. I think it kind of looks like a little green pacifier, but I guess you could also say it is a green circle with a white oval attached to the top.

Click on it. A box will pop up it will say type, and "html". In the space next to the "html" it will already have the "http://" all you have to do is type in the website address next to it and click on ok. It should then appear in your draft as a different color and underlined. WHen you post, people should be able to click on it and it will take them there. Hope that helps. If you have any questions let me know!

Katie@ThisCrazyLife said...

OH I forgot an important part. Before you clink on the linky pacifier thing you have to scroll over and highlight the words that you want to be linked, THEN click on it and it will link those words. Sorry... DUH

Lisa said...

Definitely praying for Kate. And I'm glad you had such a great time for your anniversary!