Today I'm just posting some pictures and highlighting my favorite wedding day moments. I wish I could post our professional pictures, but these will work. We had quite a few people that took pictures and gave them to us later and I appreciate them so much! Here are some photos and memories:
My dad and I have long shared a love of breakfast and have often gone out together while the rest of the house was quiet and still. Some of my favorite moments with him have been at a breakfast table somewhere. His dad, my Gramps, came to be with us a few days before the wedding. My favorite moments with him are a lot of walks. I would go visit my grandparents in the desert (Joshua Tree) in California and he always takes a morning walk. I joined him as much as I could on those trips. In high school I went with him to Florida and we walked the beaches there as much as possible. The day before my wedding, he and I walked along a beautiful scenic path here in town next to a river. The day of the wedding, both men took me to breakfast and bragged to anyone that would listen that it was my wedding day. What special men God has blessed me with!

Ignore all those empty rows! Richard isn't from here and not much family could make it. The family that did had young children, so they sat near the back. The rest of the guests, wanting to save room for family sat way back. So Richard's parents were up front all on their own! We tried to avoid a bride/groom side, but people just go where they think they're supposed to. We (especially Richard) had a lot of wonderful friends and family come support us.
We were married in my parents' church because it was free. It was a nice little place and I didn't care that it wasn't the typical chapel-type place. My dream would have been to be married on a beach somewhere, but July 1st is hot! Pictures outside were miserable enough! The photographer kept fluffing my dress for me to circulate air through and it was heaven! To "pretty" up the church a bit, we had the lights turned low and candles burning everywhere. We didn't know the air wouldn't be functioning properly...oops!
The adorable little guy in front of Richard was my "charming prince". Richard was a bit paranoid about anyone carrying the ring and Jacob, the prince, didn't want to carry a pillow with no rings (because, really, what's the point?!). I agreed and told him he would just stand with us as my charming prince. I used to babysit him and his siblings (his mama has a blog - she's MTMacs on my list) and we had a blast. He cried, I mean tears streaming down his face, complete agony twisting his features - CRIED - the entire wedding. Richard joked that he thought Jacob was going to take him out the whole time!
My sister and her daughter (both to my left) also cried the entire time. My sister actually cried all day - apparently all those big sister bully moments caught up to her and she was feeling sentimental! She and my niece passed a hankie back and forth the entire wedding while her youngest daughter, Kylee, dumped the rose petals on the ground over and over. I loved it!

My sweet Uncle Jim converted his van to be my "limo". He took out the middle seats, cleaned it out and wrote on the windows. I felt like a princess being escorted around. He even brought a cooler of ice water for the wedding party to sip at the park while our pictures were being taken and made me stay in the air-conditioned van until the photographer was ready for me. So sweet! He also video taped for us, my aunt fluffed my dress and manned the buffet. They were amazing! Their son, Jamie, caught the garter and got engaged to his now wife just a couple days after the wedding. They now have a daughter that is 6 weeks younger than Raegan and are expecting their second in February. Richard and I were very short on money for the wedding, so we asked friends to help us supply desserts for the reception. We had mini cheesecakes, lemon bars, brownies, fruit, cookies and cupcakes. I think. I didn't get to eat anything until we got to our hotel that night! It looked wonderful, though!

Richard looks so distraught here - like he wants to run. It was just so bloomin' hot outside!! I am about ready to fall asleep at this point. My sweet Gran (next to Richard) was able to fly in right before the wedding. It was amazing to have her there!

As I mentioned, we were poor. My mom and I did a brave thing and went to Costco a few days before the wedding and bought whatever flowers looked good. I have never seen roses like this there again! Her friend put together all of our bouquets. She was also our wedding coordinator and I was so thankful for her organization and assertiveness. She was a real life saver!

My ring. I think I forgot to mention yesterday that Richard took my grandma's main diamond out and had it placed in this setting. He didn't think my grandma's original was big enough for me (awwwwww!). I never would have picked this ring and I love it so much.

Richard and his brothers. Can you guess which is the Army Captain and which is the pastor? His family is so wonderful. I love all of them. One of his brothers was on leave from Iraq for our wedding. We were married on the 1st and his daughter's birthday is the 2ND. She turned two that year, so they had to pay for her flight on the way back. Oops! The next day, Richard and I met the family at a pizza place for her birthday party. We were able to spend an hour or so before our flight left and it was such a wonderful start to the married us. We went to Target before the party for last minute travel needs and a present for our niece. I knew that I was officially a married woman when I didn't hesitate to tell Richard we should use his account for our purchases!

His brother was giving us each $1 for Taco Bell or something...who knows? I think the idea of changing into a going away outfit is romantic, so that's why we are in more casual clothes at this point.
I loved my dress! My mom, sister and I set out a month after I was engaged for what we thought would be the first of many days throughout the next few months of dress shopping. I originally wanted a simple, fitted gown and my mom talked me into trying this one on. I fell in love immediately. It fit perfectly and was on sale! The only glitch was that it was a bit long and had so any layers of tool, it couldn't be shortened. So I just threw the train over my arm for the reception! Classy, I know. One risk of buying your dress 6 months before the wedding: you have to stay the same size! It was a smidge snug. Once I changed into my other outfit, I could have danced all night!
My niece, Kylee, was just so little! We found her dress at a store in the mall and I think she looked so cute! I had such fun planning this wedding on a budget. We had to be creative and thoughtful about everything and I wouldn't change a thing!

Our music plan for the reception didn't work out. Miscommuication at it's finest. But we were able to get Nat King Cole's "Unforgetable" to play for one dance, and my friend, Carol, played piano for another one. My dad and I danced while Richard and his mom twirled beside us. My dad didn't need music:
I had severe ear infections as a baby/toddler/child and when I was little, my dad used to roam the halls with me for hours at night. (I'm sure my mom did her fair share, but this is the story I've heard the most) He would sing two specific songs: You Are My Hiding Place and At Moments Like These. I love those praise songs. He sang them to me while we danced. He and I have a very special relationship. Kindred Spirits. I now sing those songs to Raegan. My parents lived with us (temporarily) when Raegan was born, and Richard told me the first week we had Raegan, I was singing one of those songs to her in our room, and my dad was just standing outside the door, listening and tearing up.


Richard and I having our first dance. We still goof off and shuffle around our kitchen every now and again. I'm pretty sure that when this picture was taken, he was threatening to grab my hiney, because, well, he could. What would all those people have to say about it? I was, after all, his wife. That's my husband for you! Ever the jokester and that's why I love him. He can be serious when I need him to be, but he keeps things from getting too dramatic. I love him so, so much and can't wait to celebrate 3 years with him tomorrow! (Well, we're celebrating on Friday, but you know what I mean). Anyone have a special recipe that they want to share? I am making us a special dinner, but am not sure what to make. Ideas?
3 comments:
I love the pictures. It has been so neat to read your story. Happy Anniversary tomorrow.
Happy Anniversary!
Happy Anniversary Bethany! Thanks for sharing your story with us!! Loved every bit! :)
Post a Comment