Monday, May 25, 2009

Not Me Monday


I thought I would join in the "Not Me Monday" fun.
Due to an incident that happened yesterday, I am proud to say that I am NOT a mom who freaks out irrationally when her child injures herself.
When Raegan was about 9 months old, I did NOT completely overreact when she pinched her finger in a cupboard hinge. I would never have scooped up that crying baby and paced frantically around the house crying "my baby, my baby" until poor Richard came home. Not me.
When Raegan had her first stomach flu, I most certainly did NOT call the on call doctor at 1:30 am and tell him my daughter was throwing up...I could NOT hear crickets on the other end while a very tired man struggled to calmly inform me that throwing up is not, in fact, a near death situation worth dragging him out of bed for...I did NOT hang up and announce that we were switching pediatricians since ours could not seem to muster up any sympathy for a concerned mother...I was NOT completely relieved to find out days later that the cranky, husky-voiced man on the phone had not been my actual doctor...not me.
Yesterday I did NOT have so much time left before we needed to be out the door for church that I decided to curl my hair. I would NEVER under any circumstances forget that my growing child can now reach the counters and neglect to push the very hot curling iron away from the edge of the counter. I would certainly never then walk into the closet, turning my back on said curling iron and daughter. When I came back in the room, I did NOT scream bloody murder when I saw Raegan grab the fat, HOT iron with her hand, effectively scaring the poor girl. I did not then proceed to scoop her up and run screaming for Richard. Richard did not stare in complete shock at the blubbering mess before him and calmly take Raegan (from aforementioned blubbering mess) and logically run her hand under cold water and keep her distracted. I did not get cranky at Richard throughout the next hour as we tried to decided how severe the burn was. I would never react so dramatically or ridiculously to any painful situation involving my child.
I did not then experience constant tightening in my belly for hours later that evening and brush it off as no big deal until my mom panicked enough that I gave in and went to get checked out. The monitors did NOT show that my uterus was irritable and they did not find that I have a slight infection which can cause contractions if it gets worse. I did not tell my mom she was right and it was good that I went.
And finally, I did not check on my burn victim numerous times through the night and let her have shortcake strawberries with Cinnamon Toasters cereal for breakfast because I felt so guilty for her burned hand. NOT ME!
Any of you not having fun experiences and reflections this week?

4 comments:

Angie said...

Oh my! I did not laugh at this post at all. I also did not feel sympathetic towards a sweet baby's owie. I did not feel any concern whatsoever for my sweet friend and her other baby girl. I am not going to pray for any of the people mentioned in this post. :)

Anonymous said...

Its sad when your daughter burns herself but the bratwurst's at the in-laws house made it all worth while.

Lisa said...

Oh no. I've NEVER done anything like any of that. (Laughing in a sympathetic way.)

Adrian said...

HAhahahaha.... wow. I definitely do NOT have any kind of story to compare with this... no really, I do not.
Love you. XO