Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Park Fun and Daddy Surprises

Monday and Tuesday this week were in the 70s here. Liz and I had to get out and enjoy. She was introduced to her first park Sunday and has been to the park every day since. It's raining here now, so we are just playing inside today, then will go grocery shopping later. I loved the amazing weather, but am happy for a rainy day. I have a Wild Rice Soup recipe I've been wanting to try all week, but for many reasons wasn't able to last week. I can't bring myself to make soup on a glorious day. I also went to the store last week for wild rice and it is $8.00 a pound!!! I wasn't' sure how much I would need and would have overestimated. I decided to re-check the amount needed for the recipe. 3/4 cup. That's it! I would have bought 3 pounds just to be safe!! 3/4 cup will not even touch the $8.00 mark, so I feel better buying it today. If it's good I will share the recipe on my other blog.
I started a blog to save the friends and family just checking up on our lives from having to read my personal goals and ramblings. I'm sure I will still ramble here; that's just me. But now if you want to read my recipes, personal goals and such, you can and if you don't you don't, you don't have to.
Anyway. We had great park times this week and I wanted to share the pictures. Monday we met N and A (the little girl I used to watch) at a park nearby and Liz was so excited to see A!! The girls spent most of their time playing with the wood chips lining the park and stopping our hearts while they tried out the little steps. This park was located in a neighborhood and therefore really empty. Only a few other people showed up and they didn't stay long. Deech stopped by in his car to say hello to us and once the other park goers saw "the cops" they scattered. It was really funny! Deech was also able to stop by and see Liz and I at my parents house, so we took some pictures. My husband is not a cop. That is just his job. He hates to be thought of as just a cop and politely puts up with all the questions about his job. He works in a fascinating field and he knows that. But that's not who he is, so I try not to make things all about that. But, his job is part of our lives and I wanted pictures with him in his uniform and in front of his car. I think Liz and this little one will love to look back on those pictures when they're older.




>
Yesterday my friend, Amy, and I met at a different park to play then go for ice cream. Amy is 29 (give or take a week, I can't remember!) weeks along with her first baby and I am so excited!!! This park is a much more public place and was PACKED! I was a nervous wreck the whole time since Liz is still quite unaware of danger. She fell twice and I lost sight of her for one split second and about cried right there. We still have a lot of training to do in the "Come when Mommy calls" area as well as a few others. The great thing about this hectic park is it is made to be wheelchair accessible and is completely suited for handicapped children. I love it! The padding surrounding the equipment is spongy so the two times Liz fell (did I mention both times were on her head?!) she just stood up and kept playing. It was so much fun. I have no ice cream pictures as Liz was so tired she decided to throw an all out screaming (and I do mean SCREAMING) fit in the middle of the ice cream shop. Sigh. I am a spanking mom, but I hesitate in public especially in the city my husband is a cop in. I have heard so many stories about people calling the police because a mom has spanked and I don't want that to happen. I don't want Deech brought into a mess like that as I fear it would just make the potential situation worse. BUT, I don't want Liz to learn she can get away with things in public. I try to teach her as much as I can in the privacy of our home so that out and about she already knows what is appropriate behavior. But you can't anticipate everything, and she is only 15 months. I know being embarrassed at times is just part of parenting. And it's not that I want to avoid embarrassment as much as I want to teach my daughter. I am responsible for her and it's my job to teach her how the world works. That things won't always go her way. That she will have to have selfless moments. That she needs to be accepting of her circumstances. Those things are just part of life and I am responsible to teach her how to adapt...in age appropriate stages, of course! Whew! It's exhausting!





I can't get any pictures of baby Riehl uploaded, so this will have to do for now. This is the first picture we've taken this pregnancy! This is baby he/she in my tummy at 19 weeks. I actually don't think I'm much bigger than I was at 20 weeks for Liz. What do you think?