Sunday, February 22, 2009

Fairy Princess


My sister and Liz on Halloween last year

Aunt and Niece: first moment

Niece and Liz

Princess Liz
Yesterday my family gathered for yet another birthday celebration: my sister's. When we were kids, A and I didn't get along. She wanted a brother and I was a great disappointment. Although as much as she "hated" me, I found out later how many kids were secretly beaten up or threatened after being mean to her "little sister".
Now that we are older and both married with kids, our relationship has changed dramatically. We are friends. We are actual sisters. Our parents travel a lot for work and our extended families live far away, so as far as family goes, there are times when we are it for each other (ya, know other than our husbands and kids). I have never been more surprised by my sister than when I had Liz. I knew she would love my kids and be a good aunt, but I never knew how much LOVE I would witness from her. When I was in labor, A's daughter was in a different hospital for dehydration. (This happens a lot when my niece gets sick - they just can't seem to keep her body hydrated when she's sick no matter what they do) My sweet sister would wait until my niece fell asleep, then leave my brother-in-law with my niece and rush over to my hospital to be a support to me during labor. Before I had my epidural (God bless the person who discovered that!!!) I had one especially painful contraction and as I "dealt with it" I could see my sister crying on the other side of the room. That's love for you.
But I really saw love from her as she began to relish her new job as aunt. She has nieces and nephews from her husband's side of the family, but having a child from your own sister to love on is just different somehow. My sister has loved on and adored Liz from day one.
Yesterday, for her birthday, my sister decided that Liz's present to her would be dressing up in princess outfits. She took such delight in Liz running around in her cute little fairy princess get-up. Just had to share the sweet pictures. Thanks, Sissy. I love you very much.

No comments: