I have so much to blog about but not much energy to do it. The reason for the lack of energy is the whirlwind few weeks we've had: vacation with Deech's family in Colorado, sharing that awful bug with Deech's family, Christmas and all the baking that goes with it, Liz's first birthday...and the news that we are expecting our second baby at the end of next summer. Needless to say, we've been busy! So for now, I will just share some photos.
One thing, though. I really enjoyed Liz's first Christmas and her first birthday. For me, it's even more special that she was born just two days after this blessed day. Throughout my pregnancy with her, when people would ask the normal questions about my protruding belly, the subject always stopped on her due date. The conversations would go something like this:
"Oh! Are you expecting?"
(no..I just gain all my weight in a rather unfortunate way)...smile "Yes, I am!"
"Do you know what you're having. Wait! Don't tell me...the way you're carrying, it must be a boy! Am I right?"
"It's a girl, actually" another smile
"Oh. So when are you due?"
here we go... "December 28th"
"Oh, what a shame! So close to Christmas!" Insert here millions of different tips on how to make this not be so awful for the child within.
It actually was fun bantering with customers, hearing ideas, suggestions on how to separate her birthday from Christmas. I'm sure we will get creative in the future. For me, it has been so special the last two years. I know December 25th isn't actually the date that Jesus came to us in that stable. But since we've been celebrating Christmas that day for so long, I have felt connected to Mary in a way that I had my first baby so close to when she had hers. Every woman at some point in her life, mother or not, I'm sure can identify with her. This pregnancy with Liz, the songs about Christ's birth, the special memories for me of my own labor. I find myself really seeing the human side of our God/Man Savior. I watch Liz and realize that Jesus, too, cut teeth and nursed and was weaned and rocked and sung to. What a picture. As I do everyday things with Liz, sometimes I can't help but be amazed at the humility and sacrifice of our God. Really? Master, Author, Creator of all...with a dirty diaper that He could do nothing about but wait for his mother to change Him. Really? So many comparisons strike me, especially this year. Looking back on labor and meeting Liz, I am just amazed at God's gift. I hope that Liz never feels that she was cheated by the placement of her birthday. For me, it is infinitely special. She was supposed to be born when she was. And I am grateful for another reason to stop and be amazed.
Now, new life is here with me. And I am amazed all over again.
3 comments:
Hey, WOW! CONGRATS!
I have a sticky note here that has been here for a couple of weeks to send you a Christmas card(did I?) and about Rae's 1st bd. I am sorry I didn't get that sent yet...it is coming! And how exciting is your news! You are precious to me. I love you and hope you are well. Can't wait to meet another little Reihl! xoxoxo
Congrats! Sounds like a wonderful Christmas and birthday celebration!
Wow, how great! Congratulations! If there's anything you need, please let me know. (I'm not far away!) And happy (late) birthday to Raegan!
Post a Comment