Monday, December 1, 2008

Advent Season

I have mentioned a few times how much I love Christmas. The season warms me and delights me in so many different ways. I once wrote a research essay for college on the traditions of Christmas and where we got them. I am amazed at how things like Santa Claus, mistletoe, and Christmas trees became a staple for Christmas celebrations. I feel constantly apologetic to the Lord and fellow believers because I am totally into THE STUFF of Christmas. Sign me up for all that commercialism, baby! This year I am still into THE STUFF and will be listening to Christmas music all season long, hoping for a white Christmas (which hasn't happened around here in a loooong time) and watching Muppet Christmas Carol a dozen times. However this year, I really want to pause and focus on what I'm really celebrating. I mentioned in my last post that our church does a "Celebration of Advent Season". I am going to post somewhere on here the outline for Advent each week. I hope you all find time to stop with me a few minutes each day and meditate on the amazing gift of Jesus. His birth was miraculous and planned from the beginning of Creation. He was born for us. He lived for us. He died for us. And then, miracle of miracles, He rose from the dead for us and sat down at the right hand of God! It is finished! Sin has no power over us any longer. We are no longer slaves to our flesh! We are slaves only to righteousness if we believe in our hearts and profess with our mouths that Jesus is Lord! I wish you all a very Merry Christmas Season and a wonderful Celebration of Advent Season!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Thanks for posting that, Bethany! For some reason, I always thought of Advent as being a Catholic practice. But we should all be looking forward to the celebration of Christ's birth! And I love the new look of your page! Let me know when you guys are back from your trip and we'll plan a get-together.

Zeb N. Olsen said...

In my view there is no need to feel apologetic for enjoying the secular side of Christmas, it's fun to give and receive gifts!

Alaina said...

What a great focus! We love celebrating advent, also! Christmas is my absolute favorite holiday and I'm right there with you on the music etc. :)

Thank you so much for your kind comment the other day. I'll be praying for you as I miss my husband when he works late!

Adrian said...

Precious post, Dear!
And no, I haven't read "90 minutes In Heaven", you have and liked it? What is it about?
Love you!
We are counting down days to our McChristmas in MT 16 days til they get here! :)