Friday, November 28, 2008

Let the Festivities Begin!!


My heart's delight here on earth!

My husband had to work Thanksgiving after we ate, but he surprised me and came home to eat dinner. He only gets to sneak home on special occasions since he works in a different city than the one we live in. It was so special to see him home!!! Liz loves all the gadgets on his uniform!

This year I put my tree in between the kitchen and living room since I spend most of my time in the kitchen and we don't have a lot of room in the living room for Liz to play...

Our entryway. I am not known for my decorating skills, rather my lack of them, but I had fun with my festive touches this year.

My Centerpiece for Advent Season

Liz was helping us decorate the tree. Now I have to teach her not to touch the tree!

Last year for Christmas, my parents bought Liz (who was still nestled in my belly) a Little People Nativity set. I have been waiting for Thanksgiving to give it to her..she loves it!! Thanks Grandma and Grandpa!!

We tried to teach Liz to graze all day...


Last month I blogged about Halloween and how, for me, it was like the gateway to the holiday season. Now Thanksgiving is officially behind us and it's on to the Christmas Season. Yes, oh, yes it has arrived! I was listening to the radio station that plays 24 hour Christmas music today, and they kept playing little snippets of callers saying what their favorite Christmas memories were. Most of them were about which presents had impacted them the most as children. This prompted me to think of what my favorite memories of Christmas are. I can't remember what my "Red Ryder BB Gun" toy that I just couldn't stop thinking about was. I'm sure I had things that I was hoping to see under the tree Christmas morning. But as I look back I realize that it's really the season, everything surrounding the month of December that I relish. The music, the food, the decorations, the movies and TV specials. I do have to stop numerous times and remind myself that what is really being celebrated is the birth of our Savior. And what an amazing miracle that is. Our church sets up a wonderful way to follow the "Advent Season". We are given a little booklet that details different scriptures and songs to meditate on each day leading up to Christmas. Each Sunday evening, we are to get together as a family and light a candle on our advent centerpiece. I'm really looking forward to participating in this with my family this year. Now as I enjoy the hustle and bustle of my favorite season, I will also be pausing with my family each day to remember what we are celebrating and why. I hope you all had a happy Thanksgiving and I wish you a Happy Advent Season leading up to Christmas!

2 comments:

Jan said...

Reagan is too cute! I really miss those days. They go by fast, don't they? Glad you're enjoying your holiday.

Jan

Lisa said...

I've never celebrated Advent before, but it sounds like such a neat idea! And Raegan is just getting more adorable every day!