I took Liz Trick-or-Treating with my sister's family last night. Deech had to work (he was making sure all creepos had their lights OUT last night) so I took lots of pictures for his sake. It was a strange experience for me. Growing up, we didn't really do a lot for Halloween. I was always the kid (the ONE kid) waiting in the library at school for the Halloween parade to be over. I wasn't allowed to participate. I loved books, so it wasn't a big deal. Looking back I hold no ill feelings toward my parents for being strict about Halloween. I am proud of them for sticking to their beliefs and teaching us that it's OK to be different. They did let us get dressed up for church Festivals. And eventually I was allowed to go trick-or-treating. I only remember going twice, though. So last night was different for me. But as we marched up to the first door and waited anxiously for our chance to yell that demanding chant, I got a shiver of youthful excitement. When we got home and dumped out our buckets to survey the bounty, I stopped to enjoy the magical aroma that only a pail of Halloween candy can produce. Yummy!
Liz was in her stroller most of the evening, but I did take her out and right up in front a few times. I must say, it was quite awkward standing there, miles taller than the other little princesses and goblins, holding an observant pink leopard in one arm and holding out her pumpkin pail in the other. At each home, the owner would eye me suspiciously and avoid giving me candy until it was clear that I wasn't leaving without my share of the goods. I guess me standing there sheepishly trying to make pleasant conversation didn't help. And the fact that all adults present knew the candy wasn't for the confused little pink leopard. I wanted to make it clear that the candy wasn't for me either. However, Deech has warned me about telling strangers the details of his occupation. I decided that telling folks who may or may not have had run-ins with the law that my police officer husband would be reaping the rewards of our labor was a bad idea. Who knows what would have ended up in her bucket.
So after a few nasty looks, I gave Liz's bucket back to her cousin, who was quite content to hold up two buckets at each door and announce that she was helping her cousin. Then Liz's uncle decided that he wanted to take Liz for a few rounds. Not one home owner looked at him with disdain. Of course he is the vice-president of the HOA. Hmmmm...
Anyway, enough babble. Hope you all had a great Friday and I hope you enjoy the pictures. Now on to Thanksgiving fun!!!
One little side note: This year I have been ridiculously excited for Christmas. I've always been a fanatic, but throwing my offspring into the equation has made me downright ecstatic. When I was pregnant I was against teaching her about Santa and she would NEVER be on Santa's knee. Now I can't wait to dress her up and wait in line at the mall for her Santa pictures. I can't wait to make cookies for Santa with her and nibble on the ends of carrots so that she thinks Rudolph was here! I am usually very strict about when Christmas movies are allowed to make their way into our lives. Most have to wait until Thanksgiving night. Some are allowed after Halloween because they have Thanksgiving scenes in them. "Meet Me in Saint Louis" has a Halloween scene, so that is permitted October first. This year, I've already given in and watched "Elf" and "Miracle on 34Th Street" BEFORE HALLOWEEN!! Yesterday, I hopped in the car to head to the gym and "Silent Night" was playing on the Christian station! Hoorah! Apparently, they play Christmas music on Halloween, then start up again the day after Thanksgiving. I was overwhelmingly excited all day. I literally have giggles and shivers of Christmas excitement!!
2 comments:
Looks like fun! I hope you (and Raegan) enjoyed your Halloween!
You are so adorable...and you have a lovely motherly look about you in that pic of you and Raegan. I love and miss you so much. XOXO
Post a Comment