Monday, September 30, 2013

This One Time...(In Which I Am Very Open About a Blunder of Mine)

 I've told you a little about my journey to becoming a published author. But I didn't tell you all of it.
There was a time that I had the opportunity to write for a local magazine. The deal was that I would write freelance for a bit, then I would get paid according on the popularity of the articles. So I did my test article and without thought or prayer I promised the Lord:
"God, I am so grateful you are granting the desire of my heart to write! Because I want to honor You always with my words, I will give you my first check from writing as a first fruit, should I ever receive one. Amen."
Whoops. I might have gotten excited and carried away. See, you shouldn't make promises to the Lord. (Ecc. 5:4,5 "When you make a vow to God, do not be late in paying it; for He takes no delight in fools. Pay what you vow! It is better that you should not vow to the Lord than that you should vow and not pay.")
I'm sure you can guess where I'm going with this story: I got a little check from the magazine for my next article...and I took my family out for pizza. And not even good pizza. Yucky, greasy, shame-filled pizza.
The magazine shut down after that. Seriously. Chances at writing? Poof. Dried up.
I agonized over my foolishness for years. I prayed and repented and prayed some more. Because our God is one of second chances, I knew I would probably get a chance to make it right but it took years and discipline before He said it was time.
I believe that's why I was feeling such a pull to write again. Why He was pressing upon my heart that something was coming. And then I heard about Destiny Rescue...and you know the rest.
But what I haven't shared on the blog yet is that I agreed immediately to give a portion to Destiny from the start. I had fragments of the outline within an hour of hearing about the organization and that night I went to bed and prayed my heart out in thanksgiving for another chance to write. I also implored the Lord to come along side me in my human weakness to make things right.
I very strongly felt a nudge from the Lord that if I planned to make this book a first fruit, then all of my proceeds belonged to Him. Every penny. I agreed and just like that the holes of the story filled in.
It has truly been an incredible experience.
For the months I was writing the book I went through all manner of thoughts as to how to give it all fully to the Lord. For a time I thought, "I'll write the story and sign the rights over to Destiny." But that's not what the Lord intended and He has orchestrated it very differently. I fully believe I'm to tithe the first 10% and gift the remaining 90% to Destiny and that's what I'm doing. I'm being open about it and risking people disagreeing with how I'm doing this so that others can share in the blessing.
And to hold myself accountable.
I messed up once and am making sure that the Lord is given this, my first fruit, the correct way this time. I never should have made the promise in the first place, definitely shouldn't have broken it. But now the Lord, in His infinite Grace is making it right.

No comments: