Friday, September 20, 2013

Mary/Martha/Me

Mary VS Martha.
Most of us know the story, right? Jesus and a whole heap of people are at Mary and Martha's house. Martha is running around like a maniac prepping dinner and then realizes her sister, Mary, is sitting on her hiney listening to Jesus instead of helping.
There was a time when I completely misunderstood Martha. I didn't get why she felt the need to tattle to Jesus and I was always a bit smug when He responded with, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things; but only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her." (Luke 10:41)
So there, you control freak, I used to think. Get over yourself.
Fast-forward about fifteen years and add in a husband, three daughters, homeschooling, a budding writing career and -BOOM!- you've got a carefree-teen-turned-overwhelmed-and-frazzled-Martha.
I get her now. I totally get her. I am her.
She's pleased and privileged that Jesus has entered her home and wants to serve Him the very best. She's a good cook, and has a servant's spirit, even if she's not always joyful in the serving. She is giving. She's put together a menu, she's set everything out and is running around her kitchen: chopping, prepping, steaming, frying, sweating, bumping into things, stubbing her toe, cleaning dishes and dirtying them again. She places something in the oven and takes a moment to lean against the counter and wipe the back of her hand on her sweaty forehead, painting it with flour. She puffs a stray hair out of her eyes in an exasperated sigh and stands up straight, eyes narrowed.
"Wait a minute," she grumbles, "where in the world is Mary? Why isn't she helping me?"
She follows the melodic sound of the Savior teaching and scans the crowd of followers.
There. There's my lazy sister. Right up front.
Did Martha move so she would be in Mary's peripheral? Did she clear her throat? Try waving to get her attention? Did Jesus pause and ask Martha what she needed, drawing everyone's attention to her?
If it were me, I would have blushed, then in my embarrassment pulled out some attitude to cover my bruised pride. Anybody?
"Well, yeah, Jesus. See that chick at Your feet? I don't know if You know this, but I'm back in that kitchen preparing food for all of you," her hand makes a sweeping motion to accompany the hushed, astonished, (and at this point probably uncomfortable) group, "and--" she jabs a finger in Mary's direction, "my sister isn't helping. Since You seem to be the only One she's interested in listening to, could you tell her to help me out?" Arms now cross over her chest. Point made. It's only a matter of time before Mary is reprimanded (gently, of course--this is Jesus we're talking about) and sent to the kitchen to help.
Instead, Jesus gently reprimands Martha. I have always wondered what she did next. Did she harrumph and head back into the kitchen? Cry into the soup as she stirred it?
Did she turn red?
Did she pull up a chair and sit down?
As a Martha these days, the last option, although I know it's the best, makes me cringe. If she sat down and chose the better way, did anyone eat that day? Did the roast burn?
The point is: It doesn't matter.
The Man speaking to Martha had risen people from the dead, He had fed thousands of people from virtually nothing. His words are literally LIFE. They didn't need all of Martha's fancy hospitality and that is really, really hard for me to swallow. I don't think her busy hands are what was really the problem. Obviously there was more going on in her heart and mind. Jesus, who knows us intimately, knows our thoughts before we do said, "...you are worried and bothered about so many things..."
Anybody relate? Boy, I sure do.
I have much to do and most of it is for a good reason. I homeschool my children because I feel led to do so. I have them in a co-op that takes up quite a bit of time two days a week because I feel led to do so. I attend an intense Bible study because I know the most important thing for me in any given week/day/moment is to understand His word. I am busy writing because I feel led to. I do my best (often failing!) to care for my husband, family, and home in a way that honors the Lord. I am trying to help the publishers market my book on a zero dollar budget. I wrote the book to raise awareness and support for Destiny Rescue because I felt led to. I. Am. Busy. And overwhelmed. None of these are bad things unless my attitude is not focused on the most important thing: to stop and be at the feet of the Lord. To absorb His words. To live entirely for Him in a way that trusts that He will work out the details.
And there will probably be a Mary/Martha/Me Part II because I do not have this even close to figured out. I'm still Martha over here trying to stir the soup with one arm and peek around the corner and listen to Him at the same time. I'm still worried and bothered about so many things...
Anyone else? How do you take off your "Martha" cap and follow Mary's example?


3 comments:

melmckim said...

Thank you for writing this!
I am feeling pretty overwhelmed these days and this is EXACTLY what I needed to be reminded of! Exactly! I love the paragraph that says Jesus is LIFE and he fed the 5,000...I'm going to be repeating that over and over.

Amy said...

I am so with you!!! I've been studying 1 Cor 13 this week and have been so convicted on God's version of love and how little I love right. The Lord has been showing me my selfishness over my work and regarding "my" work as more important than "His" work which was, to love. For me, Annie Keary has a great quote about being willing and available for hindrances and interruptions, viewing them as trials sent by God to help us against getting selfish with our work. I'm horribly selfish and unloving, and God is teaching me how to lay down my selfishness and go my day in love and willingness for what He brings, and trust for Him to give time for the rest. I see Martha in me constantly and pray He keeps changing my heart.

B.D.Riehl said...

Ladies, thank you so much for sharing with me. I just love knowing that we all struggle with the same things in life and that Christ is BIG ENOUGH for all of it! Like I said, there will most likely be a part 2 for this post. I am still figuring this out and just this weekend, the Lord was good to remind me of His grace and understanding and PATIENCE with us!